Collision Help Please

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Programming/Collision Help Please

mrpeepers(Posted 2003) [#1]
I am having problems with my player meshes constantly falling through uneven and vertical meshes. They will fall through (or sometimes bounce first) using sphere to polygon and full slide.

I am using meshed terrains made up of seperate tiles and a simple if entitycollided() = false then translate negative on y-axis(simulate gravity) else do nothing.

Every update it checks to see which terrain tiles are close enough to the player mesh and then gives them the appropriate collision type or takes it away.

Can constent switching of an entity's collision type interfere with accurate collision detection?

Any ideas on how to resolve this would be appreciated or if someone can tell me a better way to do this that would be great.

- Brett B.

p.s. comp specs: P4 2.0Ghz, 256MB RAM, 64MB Intel Integreted Graphics, WinXP Home

semar(Posted 2003) [#2]
Hum, try to use a cube or a sphere for collisions, and parent your mesh to it.

I mean, don't check for collision between the mesh and the scenery, instead use a cube or a sphere to be affected by collisions and gravity, and just parent the mesh to that entity.

Hope this helps,
Sergio.

mrpeepers(Posted 2003) [#3]
I had forgot to mention that I am using a pivot to hold the entity radius and the player mesh is a child of the pivot.

Thanks semar I will try your suggestion when I get a chance.