World/Object size from 3dsmax -> Blitz

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Programming/World/Object size from 3dsmax -> Blitz

Spy(Posted 2003) [#1]
hi there..

i have a small problem with the size of objects in BB3D..
when i make a house for example in 3d studio max and put it in BB3D its huge!.. can someone tell me how the units from 3ds max act to those in BB3D..
1unit 3DSMAX = x units in BB3D ?

tnx

jhocking(Posted 2003) [#2]
1 unit in 3D Studio Max = 1 unit in Blitz. Your problem is that you are using a really large scaling factor (ie. you are modeling too big.) You arbitrarily decide what those generic units are equal to for your game. By default 3D Studio Max seems to use a scale around 1 unit=1 inch whereas a better scale would be 1 unit=1 foot (the scale I use) or even 1 unit=1 meter (the most common scale for Blitz users.) For example, if you use 1 unit=1 inch then a 3 unit long block is 3 inches long whereas at 1 unit=1 meter that same block is 3 meters long. Long story short, make your objects smaller in 3D Studio Max.

This by the way is one of myriad things which are odd about 3D Studio Max. Nobody else uses as large a scale as 3D Studio Max; objects modeled in 3D Studio Max and imported into another tool tend to look huge. This is a common concern for game developers. The first time I modeled an object for Unreal, a gun, it was enormous when I took it into the game. The gun was larger than the level! My best guess is that the large default scale in 3D Studio Max is a leftover from its CAD roots, doing architectural work. This still doesn't explain however why the axes are oriented differently in 3D Studio Max than anywhere else...