Number Of Polygons for a main character

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Programming/Number Of Polygons for a main character

SSS(Posted 2003) [#1]
hi all, i was wondering what you guys though the max amount of polys was for a main character in a game, is 1200 ok?

thanks alot, he would only have a 3 surfaces tho

ashmantle(Posted 2003) [#2]
1200 polys if very ok

Dock(Posted 2003) [#3]
For reference, my character is looking to have about 2500, but only two surfaces, maybe just one :) depends on the game, how many characters there are, etc.

jhocking(Posted 2003) [#4]
It depends on a lot of factors. A more useful question is how many polygons can be displayed on the screen (for the polygons in a single character subtract the number of polygons in the scenery and divide by the number of characters) and even that is dependent on your target hardware. 1200/character is good for an average first-person shooter on average (a couple years old) hardware but entirely too many polygons for older hardware and/or an RTS game with lots of characters onscreen simultaneously, and too few polygons for a two person fighting game on latest hardware (since only two characters will ever be onscreen simultaneously.)

Akat(Posted 2003) [#5]
in Doom iii, they used 300 to 500 for objects... 500 to 1500 for a simple enemy, 3000 for main character and 5000 for boss... for me the best - below 1500

Mustang(Posted 2003) [#6]
I use bit over 2000 polys per character... UT2003 has characters starting at that but go to 3000 polys on most. If we are talking about 2-3 years old 3D-cards they do not care care if you throw to them 1000 or 2000 polygons; the rendering is just as fast. It's the number of surfaces that kill the speed more than polygon amount.

Akat(Posted 2003) [#7]
what u mean by number of surfaces instead?

SSS(Posted 2003) [#8]
thats interesting so, if i have like 30k of polys being rendered but only 3 surfaces, how will the speed be?

jhocking(Posted 2003) [#9]
Much better than the same number of polygons but 100 surfaces.

smilertoo(Posted 2003) [#10]
i have a game idea where i'll use 4000-5000 for the main character as its quite athletic and bendy.

RayTracer(Posted 2003) [#11]
could you explain surfaces a little better,how do i control the surfaces i build in 3dsmax?

jhocking(Posted 2003) [#12]
It's pretty much determined by the textures (or, depending on what fancy stuff you do, the materials) used on an object. That is, each texture is one surface. Use three textures, that object is three surfaces. This however is referring to a single object. Every separate object is at least one unique surface. Thus continuing my example two separate objects with three surfaces each is 6 surfaces altogether. As you can see the surface count can snowball fast so you want to optimize by combining objects and textures together as much as possible (eg. instead of separate textures for each part of a character use a single texture applied with good UV coordinates.)

RayTracer(Posted 2003) [#13]
Ok,i understand ,thanks

dmoc(Posted 2003) [#14]
I modelled the invisible man, dead easy, zero poly count ;-)

Gabriel(Posted 2003) [#15]
thats interesting so, if i have like 30k of polys being rendered but only 3 surfaces, how will the speed be?

Fast. Very fast. I had a little tech demo running ages ago with a 3d Calculator that Extended modelled and textured. It was 30,000 polys's in 2 surfaces and it was rendering at refresh rate even on lowly graphics cards.

I should try and find that and finish it off.