Couple of texture/colour-related queries.

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Programming/Couple of texture/colour-related queries.

Seivad Noj(Posted 2003) [#1]
Hello. I'm posting to ask for some help with a few problems I'm having with aspects of 3D. "Difference" has kindly attempted to help me, but I still haven't managed to get my problems sorted, so I enlist the help of some other kindly soul out there.

Right, here goes:

1. I have a texture map for a tree and its leaves, and I wanted the leaves to be transparent. Following "Difference"s advice I assigned it the Masking property wotsit, so that colours of pure black (0,0,0,)are transparent, plus I converted the texture map into .png format... Well, now my tree has whacking great white bits inbetween the tree leaves, where the original black of the texturemap was before. What am I doing wrong?

2. When I created my 3D models in 3D Studio MAX, I applied vertex colouring in unequal amounts to the models, and I want these vertex colourings to show up on my models within Blitz. Difference once again offered advice but I'm afraid I really didn't understand it fully. Would someone please assist me with this other quibble I have, please?

_PJ_(Posted 2003) [#2]
1. have you set the texture flag to 2 for Alpha?

2. sorry bit beyond me...

Well, I tried :)

Ziltch(Posted 2003) [#3]
For Vertex Colors use
EntityFX entity,2
For Vertex Alphas use
EntityFX entity,2+32

Does this Help?

Seivad Noj(Posted 2003) [#4]
Well, I worked out what my transparency problem was - apparently it doesn't like using an image that already has a transparent colour for a masked texture. Once I exported the texture map again as a normal .png it worked fine.

Unfortunately I'm still not having much luck with the vertex colouring. I used the EntityFX thing, and it made my model disappear altogether!

Difference(Posted 2003) [#5]
Maybe your model has only black vertices, and you're rendering on a black background?

Try setting CameraClsColor yourcamera, 100,100,100 to see if that is the case.

Seivad Noj(Posted 2003) [#6]
Well, I see why they're not showing now (thanks Peter Scheutz). Must've been an export problem then.

Would a .3Ds model exported from 3D Studio MAX still retain Vertex Colour details, or do I need to do something special for that to happen?

Difference(Posted 2003) [#7]
3DS does not save vertex color.

You can buy Ultimate Unwrap from http://www.unwrap3d.com It does a good job of converting MAX models (native UU export), although there are still a few minor issues.

Seivad Noj(Posted 2003) [#8]
Curses! Should've known.

Thanks a ton for your help, Peter.