ShadowMaps(Just Getting into it)

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Programming/ShadowMaps(Just Getting into it)

Stickman(Posted 2003) [#1]
Been reading most if not all post on this topic and still alittle confused about how the actual map itself is created.

Its how to go about getting what I want shadowed added to the map , From a single surface mesh?

My last thoughts were if I were to create a map first then divide the map up into sections( one section for each Tri,or group of verts )then each section ( of the map )could be indexed in the same maner as the meshes tries or vertices.a Simple For\Next loop used with a bank could do this in a snap.

Now this is the part I don't get...

Should I view the mesh from the camera or use math ( using the point from the light itself )to
Figure out what verts are being blocked by the verts in front of them, then go back to the map and update that part of the map to render a shadow or somthing like that.

God Im just confused.What I realy need to do is just jump in knee deap and then fight my way throught it.

Well any pointers you may have so I could avoid some of the same pot holes you may have stepped into would be appreciated.

and hopefully soon Ill be able to show off some of what STK can do as for its coming along way beyond many of my earler expectations.

Thanks for your help.........

Sunteam Software(Posted 2003) [#2]
One way is to use a sphere and place it at each location on the surface and do a linepick from the light source. If the object picked is the sphere then you have a line of sight and can go on to calculate light fall off in relation to distance etc.... The problem with that is that glass and other semi-transparent materials are not taken into account, but then that's some pretty advanced stuff ala raytracing :)

Stickman(Posted 2003) [#3]
Neat Idea Sunteam,never thought of that.
Just messing around a little with shadows now,figured Id get my thoughts together and see what Ideas come out from this post.Hopefully from that Ill come up with a good plane,then jump into it and do it with as little trouble as posible.( Hopefully )
Thanks for your help Sunteam.....