Easiest 3d graphics application to learn?

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Programming/Easiest 3d graphics application to learn?

Rainking(Posted 2003) [#1]
Hi there,

I've been trying to get to grips with 3d Studio Max, but it is very complicated and I am feeling a little overwhelmed by all the power and options. Is there a better package for me to learn as an intruduction to creating 3d graphics?

Thanks in advance for any advice you can offer.

Sledge(Posted 2003) [#2]
I tend to use Anim8or, but not being a 3D artist of any description (well, I'm quite handy with Maplet, if that counts) I'd hesitate to say it was "easy". What it is is free, seemingly stable, able to export 3ds (convertor to b3d in the code archives) and quite well supported on the tutorial front. If I ever learn to model anything decent in 3D, it will almost certainly be via Anim8or.

Ricky Smith(Posted 2003) [#3]
MIlkshape for modelling - it can also import/export nearly every 3d format including .bvh motion files.
CharacterFX for animation. Works very well with Milkshape via the milkshape asci format.
Both cheap - both easy to learn and use and both export directly to .b3d

Red Ocktober(Posted 2003) [#4]
I found Truespace easiest to learn... it was the only one that I didn't have to keep opening the manual for whenever I needed to do something...

... but I think it will be different for everybody.

Try out the demos before you make a final choice.

--Mike

jhocking(Posted 2003) [#5]
Wings3D is a good free tool.

Anthony Flack(Posted 2003) [#6]
Now, doesn't 3d studio max come with big explanatory manuals and stuff? hmm...?

Rainking(Posted 2003) [#7]
Yes it does but there is ALOT to learn and it's all a little overwhelming. The tutorials aren't that great if you ask me either. For someone new to 3d graphics and modelling it is perhaps a little advanced, hence why I asked for something simpler.

Mustang(Posted 2003) [#8]
Use a good book... here's few:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/sim-explorer/explore-items/-/1562058576/0/101/1/book/purchase/ref=pd_sim_x_b/102-2216308-5764153

I learned to use 3Dstudio years ago (R4 for DOS!) using the excellent "Inside" book series. Later when I started working at Futuremark I had to learn 3DstudioMAX (R2) and I too noticed that the tutorials (were even) then dull and crappy so I bought a "Inside 3D studio MAX" book and it was GOOD. I don't know if there is book in that series for latest MAXes too or not... have not used MAX for two-three years.

I also have on my bookshelf "Inside LightWave[6]" and "Inside LightWave[7]"... EXCELLENT books!

Rainking(Posted 2003) [#9]
Thanks for the input - I think I might go ahead and buy a book then.

Btw how does Lightwave compare to 3d Studio Max?

Also do you still work for Futuremark? What's the latest on those nVidia driver cheats? :)

Sterling(Posted 2003) [#10]
Smiff: what version of Milkshape are you using, I don't beleive bvh files are supported anymore.

Mustang(Posted 2003) [#11]
Btw how does Lightwave compare to 3d Studio Max?

It RULES... the reason I have not used MAX for two-three years is because I switched over to Lightwave... I would (almost) rather quit doing 3D than go back to use MAX now. Does this answer your question? :)

Also do you still work for Futuremark?

Yup - been there from day 1 and I'm still here (I'm at work now). I even own few FM shares, so I don't think that I'm going anywhere else soon. Last published thing I did was the GameTest1 for 3Dmark03 (my main responsibility, I did stuff to other gametests in 03 too).

What's the latest on those nVidia driver cheats? :)

Well... our official comments are here:

http://www.futuremark.com/news/?newsarticle=200305/2003052308#200305/2003052308

Don't really want to say anything else than that... but anybody [not totally braindead] can see what's going on here.

Gabriel(Posted 2003) [#12]
Hmm.. You must have a lot of money to buy 3dsMax, not read the manuals and then start looking to buy something the price of Lightwave as well.

darklordz(Posted 2003) [#13]
Insinuations I smell....looking not good...
3DS max i have tried and learned, keeping @ it you must and succeed you will.

Ricky Smith(Posted 2003) [#14]
Sterling : I currently am using Milkshape ver 1.5.10 with the .bvh importer.

http://www.fileplanet.com/index.asp?section=1429&noloop=1&file=62995

Rainking(Posted 2003) [#15]
Edit: I'm not going to bite after all.

Sledge, Smiff, jhocking, Red Ocktober, Mustang and darklordz thanks for the advice.