DirectX 9 ?

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Programming/DirectX 9 ?

IPete2(Posted 2003) [#1]
Hey team,

What happens to Blitz 3D if I install DirectX 9? Does it have any 'knock-on' effect at all with regards to programming/working with B3d?

regards,

IPete2.

InvisibleKid(Posted 2003) [#2]
i haven't seen any problems yet.

Mustang(Posted 2003) [#3]
I have DX9.0a at work and Blitz3D doesn't get upset... and that is how it should be, but you never know until you try.

IPete2(Posted 2003) [#4]
Okay - installing DirectX 9...

Thanks guys,

regards,

IPete2.

Akat(Posted 2003) [#5]
u need it when u wanna code for pepsi forcefeedback...

IPete2(Posted 2003) [#6]
Hey?

Has Pepsi revisited that project? I wasn't aware and I am really, really interested in getting forcefeed back from a logi tech ff steering wheel.

IPete2.

GfK(Posted 2003) [#7]
u need it when u wanna code for pepsi forcefeedback...
No you don't. Works in DX8.1 here.

Litobyte(Posted 2003) [#8]
Better keep the 8.1 installed, install 9 only for test purposes, and furnish those with your program imo.

Akat(Posted 2003) [#9]
how to uninstall latest version of DX once u install it already, coz my system wont go back to previous version anymore...

Mustang(Posted 2003) [#10]
You can't uninstall DX - officially there is no "uninstall feature" in it at all. There are few "unofficial" programs on the net that can do that, but basically it's "at your own risk". Once you install any DX version it's just best to get used to the idea that it is there and there's nothing you can do about it. :)

IPete2(Posted 2003) [#11]
Hey team,

Akat...

What about using System Restore? Choose a date and go back to that date, one before you had installed DirectX you don't want?

You'll find it in accessories, System Tools, System Restore.

We've talked about this before, I had no problems when I restored my defunct network settings, but I believe it can sometimes cause problems, anyone else???

Mustang, do think this will work?

regards,

IPete2.

Mustang(Posted 2003) [#12]
Mustang, do think this will work?

Dunno... personally I would NEVER mess around with DX removal as it might lead to total chaos - and I see no point even trying as IMO you really should use lates DX as it is very nicely backwards compatible.

Ethan3850(Posted 2003) [#13]
Creating a restore point b4 installing the latest version of Direct X will enable u to in-effect uninstall it ... and there shudn't b any problems afterwards. U could use this method 2 install v9.0a 2 test software, and then remove it but if v9.0a works fine then why bother?

--
Win XPHE, AMD Athlon 1800XP, GeForce 4Ti 4800SE, DX9.0a
Processor running a little bit too hot!!!

Akat(Posted 2003) [#14]
yup... why bother?... b4, i had to format my comp n install everything back again just because i bother 'uninstall' the DX

_PJ_(Posted 2003) [#15]
I dl'd DX9 onto my laptop last night. Now it freezes when I open the DX Diagnostic test :(

Akat(Posted 2003) [#16]
thats what i been through... after this, all program required DX interface will freeze... like doing a game using B3D... soon after that - format is the best answer

Jim Teeuwen(Posted 2003) [#17]
Windows is nice enough to delete all Restorepoints that existed before the Dx9 install, so you cannot use a Restorepoint. I allready tried that route :)

Just get used to the idea ur using Dx9 and will be using it unless something better comes along, or format/re-install ur comp

Litobyte(Posted 2003) [#18]
no problems here on win2000 dx9 detonators xx.xx.10.44.03

Although, I suggest to reduce to minimum the 2D operations for a 3D game. (Graphics3D + 2D op. = not so good with dx9)

Michael Reitzenstein(Posted 2003) [#19]
You shouldn't ever use 2D operations in a 3D game anyway. The state changes on older cards are a killer.