Why is the Text function so slow in Blitz3d?

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Programming/Why is the Text function so slow in Blitz3d?

Rainking(Posted 2003) [#1]
I have a game I created and using Text to put 4 UI elements on the screen (score, goal, highscore, title) adds 200-300 milliseconds to my game loop, making the game feel not very responsive.

Is there a solution to this?

Thanks

Anthony Flack(Posted 2003) [#2]
You are using an nvidia card. You must download and install the latest drivers. Previous drivers had a bug in them.

BlitzSupport(Posted 2003) [#3]
It does happen with older, non-NVidia cards too...

Mustang(Posted 2003) [#4]
IMO you should use text-commands ONLY for dev-time debugging info and such; use "bitmap" fonts in your "real" game. Faster and better looking...

jhocking(Posted 2003) [#5]
Definitely bitmap fonts. In 2D it is easy enough to use one of the free font tools but for 3D I highly recommend you purchase FONText.

Beaker(Posted 2003) [#6]
Many users have found FONText to be a good solution to this problem. :)

Ricky Smith(Posted 2003) [#7]
You could also use just very small words ! ;)

Rainking(Posted 2003) [#8]
Okay I installed the latest nVidia drivers and that fixes it - adds about 2 milliseconds to my loop now, rather than 150.

The reason I am using the built in text is this is my first game and I wanted to keep things relatively simple for now.

Warren(Posted 2003) [#9]
Definitely switch to bitmap fonts before releasing your game though. I made the mistake of using the Text command in my initial release and was inundated with complaints about the game running slowly.

FlameDuck(Posted 2003) [#10]
Yeah. FONText is invaluable. It *will* end all your worries just like that. Pretty cool for a tenner.

Litobyte(Posted 2003) [#11]
I use only 2 text commands in my game(final release), and I will hopefully remove even them for fontbitmap or for a texture solution.

Here a few tests some people would like to see to open their mind on the argument.