vertex weighting settled

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Programming/vertex weighting settled

Akat(Posted 2003) [#1]
i found something from the tutorials section from TigerZ who wrote something how to export into B3D format from within Max... just export it into SMD stuff - the best thing is - now we can do vertex weighting using CS before export into Milkshape... our probs are settled now.... (is this can replace rob method?)

(tu) sinu(Posted 2003) [#2]
it still doesn't support vertex weighting though, we need that to be written my mark into blitz or when halo releases his vertex weighting code.

jhocking(Posted 2003) [#3]
Blitz3D, SMD file format, and Milkshape do not support blended vertex weights. The first and third will hopefully get vertex weight support soon but SMD will never have it since it is the "Half-Life" file format. At the moment the only way to get a model with blended vertex weights from 3D Studio Max to b3d file format is via Ultimate Unwrap, which is rather pointless right now since Blitz3D does not yet support blended vertex weights.

JoshK(Posted 2003) [#4]
Tommorrow. Too drunk to code now.

Akat(Posted 2003) [#5]
hah... btw, dont drive

Litobyte(Posted 2003) [#6]
B3D format has already space (the value for weight goes from 0.0 to 1.0 which allows the usual 0-100% binding weight)-

The problem is that at the moment blitz3D runtime reads the b3d file format regardless of the weight expressed, so it consider always 1.0 (100%) and this is what the b3d animated format misses right now.

necky(Posted 2003) [#7]
So you saying there isn't weighted Vertices at the moment then? An that the vertex is or isn't effected by the bone (1 or a 0)?

Litobyte(Posted 2003) [#8]
So you saying there isn't weighted Vertices at the moment then?
Not in the runtime, but the b3d format is ready.

the vertex is or isn't effected by the bone (1 or a 0)?

Exactly, I'm saying the b3d format has already space for hosting the weighted vertex deformations. But is actually UNUSED (also there is actually no plugin that will export different weights than 0.0 or 1.0, but this is not a problem for the community to fix)

GO GO GO ! Mark Sibly, do the marvelous implementation in the runtime, we will make the plugins !

Dock(Posted 2003) [#9]
Doesn't the Unwrap3D exporter export B3D files with weighted vertex?

Litobyte(Posted 2003) [#10]
Yes, but what they are for ?

For the glory ? :)

I said: even if the weights are 0.2, 0.25, 0.5, 0.66, Blitz3D runtime will only reconize them as 1.0

Mark Sibly had already pointed that out, when the first b3d format was out.

And he said soon will come a b3d release with such a feature completed.

Dock(Posted 2003) [#11]
You said: "also there is actually no plugin that will export different weights than 0.0 or 1.0", which is what I was querying ^_~ Halo is allegely working a system which allows for vertex weighting, so I sent him a B3D file produced that way.

No-one is denying that Blitz 3D doesn't support vertex weighting (well, except maybe Akat!). I know that it's intended for a future update.

Litobyte(Posted 2003) [#12]
Oh that is cool :)

But it would be nice if before of vertex weight support,
Blitz3D get a more stable asset under the most running OS:
win98/win2000/winXP

It appears there are weird (more than one) bugs playing a big game under win2000.

jhocking(Posted 2003) [#13]
Note that CharacterFX also exports b3d files with blended vertex weights. And to verify just view the model in Ultimate Unwrap; although Blitz does not yet support models with blended vertex weights, Ultimate Unwrap does so you can see what the animated model looks like. Note however that the appearance in Ultimate Unwrap is only for reference; the animated model will probably look considerably different in Blitz because Brad uses a quick-and-dirty (read: inaccurate) method for deforming the mesh.

podperson(Posted 2003) [#14]
Vertex weighting is probably waiting for Vertex shader support in Blitz3D (this is available via DX8 or ARB extensions to OpenGL). Implementing vertex weighting any other way would be unlikely (from what I've seen Mark prefers to do stuff the easy way, and all power to him).

Vertex-shaders essentially give you vertex-weighting for free.

necky(Posted 2003) [#15]
Big anouncement this. Myself and my brother will have a proper 3DSMAX exporter up and running very, very soon (this time next week hopefully). When it's done we will be giving it away for free.

You'll be able to do all the things that B3D can support, which is:

1) Model data
2) Vertex colours
3) Animated meshs and soft skin
4) All the different blend types/effects

(even weighted vertexes, not that there is a point at the moment :O( )

Be patient my friends, for the extremely long wait is almost at an end :)

byez.

Mike

p.s. Mr Sibly, PLEASE get weighted vertexs in, the world of new updates has kinda disapeared recently :( Give us weighthed vertexes within Blitz and I'll be a happy chappy once more.

Akat(Posted 2003) [#16]
it's great... just hold our breath till necky do something about it... hope soon, no one can hold much longer