I'm tired of waiting for vertex weighting.

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Programming/I'm tired of waiting for vertex weighting.

JoshK(Posted 2003) [#1]
So I am going to release my own boned animation code, that will do just this, and is actually faster than Blitz bones, since it only needs to be updated right before the world is rendered.

If anyone can post a weighted mesh in .b3d format, I'll use it for testing.

Dock(Posted 2003) [#2]
Vertex Weighting would be great!

http://deadpanda.com/plaidgrl.zip

Here is a vertex weighted file you can use. Bones aren't the best in the world ^^; but I hope it's okay. It has a cycled walk animation.

I had some real problems exporting the B3D file, but eventually managed to get it into B3D format without it becoming too distorted and weird. (I'm using the U3D exporter in MAX).

I'll look forward to seeing how this turns out! ^_^

(tu) sinu(Posted 2003) [#3]
excellent stuff halo!

jhocking(Posted 2003) [#4]
I'm rather doubtful this will be fast but please prove me wrong. Here's the vertex weighting sample from CharacterFX exported to b3d file format:
http://www.3darteest.com/weighted.b3d
In this sample there are two skeletal animated cylinders. One uses rigid vertex weights (ie. only weights of 1) while the other uses blended vertex weights.

ADDITION: I just noticed that Ultimate Unwrap seems to support blended vertex weights now. Last time I heard anything regarding skeletal animation in Ultimate Unwrap it could only do rigid attachment but when I just played the above linked file it looked fine.

JoshK(Posted 2003) [#5]
Dock, I won't download that unless it is in .b3d format.

I'll get to this later this week.

Dock(Posted 2003) [#6]
Halo, you asked for a B3D, I gave you a B3D. I said I had some problems exporting, but I managed to overcome them and make the file you need. There's a skin map and B3D file in the zip file. ^^;;;; Didn't you read my post? ;_;

maximo(Posted 2003) [#7]
How will releasing your own system relive you of being tired ;) you had the system all the time, releasing it will only benifit us? I see not how you benifit ;)

JoshK(Posted 2003) [#8]
Gema: Good point, maybe I shouldn't release. Just kidding.

Sorry, Dock, I didn't read it very carefully.

Hmmm...why am I doing this? I guess I don't have the code 100% finished, and I might as well finish it up and release it to everyone. This will happen on Friday, probably Saturday for all you English people not on Pacific time.

Skitchy(Posted 2003) [#9]
Cool. Your MD3 loader was good. I expect this will be just as clever. How do you find the time to come up with all this stuff?

How's CartographyShop3 going BTW.

JoshK(Posted 2003) [#10]
I don't have much time anymore, but have gotten much more efficient. I can probably do this in 1.5 hours. If I was as slow as I used to be, there's no way I could have time to do this. I code on Fridays. That's it.

Check the forum at leadwerks.com/cshop/forum

Gabriel(Posted 2003) [#11]
I never noticed this at the time.. did anything come of this? It certainly sounds like an exciting prospect.