Character Rigging

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Programming/Character Rigging

QuickSilva(Posted 2003) [#1]
Has anybody had any real success in rigging a human model for use in Blitz, I am currently modelling my figure with the arms straight out but when I bone him and bend them down the shoulders deform badly. On the other hand if I model them down the same happens when I rotate them up. Is there a happy medium? BTW I`m using the b3d format for my models.

Jason.

Rob(Posted 2003) [#2]
Yeah there is a happy medium. Use more bones and subdivide the shoulders. There's a few things you can do to reduce this effect, and in some cases remove it. It comes down to artistic experience/talent. Try linking the verts to a different bone and moving the bone slightly. This should crease under the arm correctly if done right.

Gabriel(Posted 2003) [#3]
Modelling the arms out ( in a Poser style stance ) should be the easiest to rig. Less chance of muddling your vertex assignments.

But for specific help, you really need to describe how they deform, and prefereably post a few screenshots.

Mustang(Posted 2003) [#4]
http://www.blitzbasic.co.nz/bbs/posts.php?topic=20431

(tu) sinu(Posted 2003) [#5]
shoulders are probably the biggest pain to rig, you need to make sure you have modelled them right and you assign the right vertex to the right bone, takes practice and experience.

Tom(Posted 2003) [#6]
If your character aint gonna be waving it's arms in the air much, drop the arms down 45 degrees> /|\ . You'll be able to visualy make a better shoulder and it shouldn't look 'as' bad when it's deforming.

You could also try adding extra bones, i.e. add knee bones and use an expression to control its angle (average the thigh & shin bones).

I do wonder if there's much overhead in adding extra bones to compensate for lack of blended vertex weighting though.

Tom

jhocking(Posted 2003) [#7]
I agree with Tom about dropping the arms down. Think about what movements the character will be making and then model him in an average position for those movements. Since most characters have their arms down most of the time modeling with the arms lowered a little results in better looking shoulders during animation (since you aren't deforming to an arms down position, it was modeled that way to begin with.)

Referring to your original post, the obvious medium between arms straight out and straight down is 45 degrees down, halfway between out and down.