A question to pro 3d programers, by someone with no experience in 3d

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Programming/A question to pro 3d programers, by someone with no experience in 3d

MadMax(Posted 2003) [#1]
I usualy prefer 2d to 3d, but I've suddently come up with an idea for a 3d game, and I need to know if it's possible to have different 3d worlds in the same program. I'll try to explain:

Was thinking of making different interior worlds with maplet, and an exterior world to connect them, something like a door you go into, and then this world goes away and you are in a new world. If this is possible how fast is the transition (player won't or will hardly notice) or would you need a transition fade or something. Once you get into the new world the old one should dissapear, but you should be able to get back to it when required.

Hope I've managed to explain.

darklordz(Posted 2003) [#2]
In common terms you would refer to them as levels. And most level don't take much loading time but that all depends on hoe much entities have to be loaded, consider a loading screen like all the other games have....

semar(Posted 2003) [#3]
Or, you can load all the worlds at different positions, and warp the player between them when requested, with a simple positionentity command.

Add some particle effect when warp, and you've done.

Sergio.

Dock(Posted 2003) [#4]
This sounds like a portal system of sorts...

Wouldn't it be better to dynamically load the interior content based on the player's location? So if the character is approaching the Yellow House, you start loading the yellow interior. When the player approaches the Red house, you dump the Yellow Interior from memory and start loading the Red interior. If you place the interior B3D models exactly within the exteriors, and they're the same scale, then you should be able to manage this seamlessly. In theory, of course ;D

A good transition effect would be a fade to black, then fade to the interior scene, and a fade to white, then a fade out to the exterior scene. This would represent the pupil's reaction to light and darkness, and would smooth the transition between interior and exterior somewhat.

Rob Farley(Posted 2003) [#5]
Of couse this is all dependant on how detailed the interiors are, you could load a whole load of them into memory and just hide the entities that aren't seen, ie Hide the red house interior if you're in the yellow house.

Many games have loading pauses from one location to another, I think players just accept it now.

MadMax(Posted 2003) [#6]
Thanks for the info

Knowing that it can be done, helps me to start the project, didn't wan't to start learning this 3d stuff and then find out I couldn't do what I wanted. :)

Stickman(Posted 2003) [#7]
Not sure if this helps But you could also use show\hide entity() command.
Just Be carfull as for some commands for showing and hiding levels and stuff can cause your entity (actor) to fall throught the mesh if its hiden or created while your standing on it.

Paul "Taiphoz"(Posted 2003) [#8]
I dont think you should be thinking about load times m8. to be honest only some of the newer games like Dungen Seige and a few others have been able to demonstrate level to level transitions with no loading screens.

This is a relativ new thing, so Id just stick in a little level leading screen and save yourself some time. this also gives you a bit extra time to set your world in motion. and set a few things up once the level is loaded. and once you have everything ready take the loading screen away, and its game on..

I have an example of this.
A game on the PC , cant think of its name, has somthing like what your going to do. Its got a global world and its full of portals. you go through a portal to each new planet. blah blah blah.. BUT this is where its sneeky. You get the leading screen up.

While this is on screen it takes about 1.2 seconds to lead the level and all game elements. BUT it does not drop the loading screen, it then takes a further 2-3 seconds to set some game elements in motion and position a few things based on previous actions. then onces all this is complete it drops the loading screen and you go in.

So having a loading screen between each level isnt such a bad thing. it can be of some use.

DareDevil(Posted 2003) [#9]
for the create to background use 3DSMAX 5 with lightmap ed export to ase format is simple method read the forum ASE TO B3D object.

IPete2(Posted 2003) [#10]
MadMax,

In one of my early B3D projects I built the interior of a hut at one side of my 3d world, the hut was inside a boundary which normally you couldn't go outside.

Then I placed an invisible cube outside the door of my hut. When the character collided with this invisible cube I positioned the character inside the interior - way off on the other side of the world. It works instantly done like this, however, you have to turn off collisions whilst you move the character or else you get stopped at the nearest wall he collides with!

Hope this helps some. PS the project was Dragonsphere, and is 12MB download from Blitzcoder (Adventures) if you want to check it out.

(You do need a beast of a graphics card to play it and wandering around takes about 30 minutes to find everything - but there's magic particles, smoke, snow, flame, 3d sound, lighting, day to night, a large scale moon which rises, a fiery dragon and some objects to pick up, not to mention the raft ride, salt mines to discover, the gaseous swamp, keys, gold, if you get the broomstick and touch the dragonsphere you can fly around on the broom...er... that's about it actually, oh apart from my pal the big boulder!)

IPete2.

MadMax(Posted 2003) [#11]
Thanks for all your helpful answers