3D model not showing up???

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Programming/3D model not showing up???

NTense(Posted 2003) [#1]
I've come across something a little odd... I've been modeling/animating in milkshape, and exporting to B3D to run the animations.. I'm doing some animation work for a couple of developers, and I wanted to look at the anims in .x and .3ds format. So I changed my LoadAnimMesh("blah.b3d") to "blah.3ds" and "blah.x".... The models don't show up..!?! I ran the debugger to make sure they were loaded, and Blitz is assigning a handle to the models.. They just don't render. I've exported multiple models out, and none of them show up.. Did something happen to the .3ds and .x imports of Blitz?

Ross C(Posted 2003) [#2]
make sure the normals aren't inverted. sorry only thing i can think of at this time of night

Drago(Posted 2003) [#3]
you can't load bone animations of the 3ds, and X variety, if you do it doesn't show anything on the screen.
so maybe that is the problem.

NTense(Posted 2003) [#4]
Ahh, that's probably it Drago (since they are boned)

jhocking(Posted 2003) [#5]
I didn't reply because I don't understand what you did/are trying to do. For example, when you say you changed the LoadAnimMesh code I assume you also exported versions of the model to the appropriate file formats. Given that, some simple reasons you might not be able to see a loaded model include camera placement (ie. the camera is too far from or inside the model) and surface color (eg. a black model on a black background won't be visible.) Sorry if these seem like obvious things to check but since you didn't explain much in your question I don't want to assume anything.

There is no specific reason models exported to 3ds or .x shouldn't show up (although, because bones aren't supported, there won't be any animation.) Drago's comment is not applicable since 3ds doesn't even support bones in the file format; a skeletal animated model exported to 3ds will be exported as a static mesh. It won't be moving but it WILL show up on screen.