B3D Format Explained?

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Programming/B3D Format Explained?

-=Darkheart=-(Posted 2003) [#1]
I think someone did an extended tutorial on everything that can go into the B3D format and how it is stored but I can't find it anywhere.

The specs and utils thing doesn't go far enough.

Does anyone have or know where there is a fully explained walkthrough of the B3D format including hierarchy, animation etc.

Thanks,

Darkheart

semar(Posted 2003) [#2]
The basics are explained following the link 'Specs and utils', which is located to the left of the worklog link; there you will find the link to the B3D format basic explanation.

Hope this helps,
Sergio.

jhocking(Posted 2003) [#3]
"The specs and utils thing doesn't go far enough."
"The basics are explained following the link 'Specs and utils'"

It's always funny to me when people post "replies" which completely miss/ignore the original message.

Difference(Posted 2003) [#4]
Also, to get an overview of a file, you can use this b3d2xml code:

http://www.blitzbasic.com/codearcs/codearcs.php?code=665

When used to get an overview, and if you don't want to look at all the tris and verts, you can use the stripverts and striptris tags.(The file will not be a valid B3D, but easy to load in ex. Internet Explorer.

There is also a nice reference here: Unofficial Blitz Basic "B3D" File Format Specs V 0.1

-=Darkheart=-(Posted 2003) [#5]
Thanks Peter, I had already downloaded your XML convertor which is very useful and I will probably adapt, but I was really looking for that other article which explains the chunks in detail.

I had seen a month or two back but couldn't find it.

Cheers,

Darkheart

Drago(Posted 2003) [#6]
did you look at the link he posted about the unofficial Blitz Basic Specs?

-=Darkheart=-(Posted 2003) [#7]
Yes that's the one I was referring to when I said "that other article", really good work there Drago.

Makes writing my exporter a lot easier, thanks. Now I'm just hoping native support for vertex deformation animation arrives in B3D format.

BTW, maybe you could link it to your front page, did you ever get my e-mail re your:SMD loader.

Back to work...

Darkheart

Drago(Posted 2003) [#8]
heh, I missed that comment, or read it taking a different meaning anyway ;)
hmm, don't think I got your email.