.b3d Animation Interpolation

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Programming/.b3d Animation Interpolation

QuickSilva(Posted 2003) [#1]
Is there any way in Blitz 3D to change the interpolation between keyframes in a .b3d file as currently I have a really nice spline interpolated anim in CharacterFX and when I get it into Blitz 3D it`s silky smooth fluidity is lost. If there is no solution for this is there a work around? Thanks for any help.

Jason.

jhocking(Posted 2003) [#2]
The work around is to clamp the spline interpolation down just before exporting by setting keyframes for every joint (use the button at the top of the Keyframe Editor) every frame. Export this way but don't save it.

QuickSilva(Posted 2003) [#3]
I will try this when I get a momment. How effective is it?
Does it give you the exact same result as CFX or just a
slightly better looking anim?

Jason.

podperson(Posted 2003) [#4]
Well since CFX won't show you frames interpolated between its frames the answer is: it will give you the same results that you see in CFX but not the same results you'd see if you stretched out the animation in CFX (introducing new gaps between keyframes).

necky(Posted 2003) [#5]
Export every frame as a key frame. It's expensive on memory but it does give you perfect results (I should know, our inhouse exporter does just this :))

hope this helps

Mike

jhocking(Posted 2003) [#6]
Memory wise it isn't so bad unless you have tons of bones. One of the main advantages of skeletal animation is smaller filesize (compared to saving the animation as, say, md2.)

This isn't really directed at you personally because I see this a lot but it always strikes me as odd/annoying when someone comes along and suggests exactly what has already been suggested as though it is a new suggestion.

Ricky Smith(Posted 2003) [#7]
Why don't you try making sure that all of the little squares in the keyframer are red before exporting.
This may help ! ;)

QuickSilva(Posted 2003) [#8]
Ok I`ve had a chance to try the things mentioned above and cannot get it to work. I have a bird mesh that flaps it`s wings all nice and smoothly in CFX, just before I export to .B3D format I make every frame a keyframe so all the little boxes are red and export. In Blitz the smooth flapping motion is reduced to a jerky robotic motion, have I missed something simple? Has anybody got a small simple example of the techniques mentioned above actually working?

Jason.

jhocking(Posted 2003) [#9]
Actually it would be very helpful if you could post YOUR stuff. I'ld like to see exactly what you are doing to see if you are doing it right. Ideally post versions of the CFX scene before and after setting keyframes for every frame. I have to assume you are doing that incorrectly so I would like to check. Taking a guess I suspect you are only setting keyframes every frame for a single bone, not the entire skeleton, but I'll have to see.

Ricky Smith(Posted 2003) [#10]
Try adjusting the speed of playback in the Animate command - maybe you are playing back too quickly - Blitz and CharacterFX seem to playback at different speeds.