Resources for X/3DS/MD2/B3D

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Programming/Resources for X/3DS/MD2/B3D

Anarcade(Posted 2003) [#1]
Does anyone know of any resources that give the advantages and disadvantages of the four supported formats listed above. I am looking at what each can and cannot do, quality/size/speed of models as well as if the formats can handle animations, boned animations etc.

I am looking at doing some modelling and want to know information before I choose a format for my models in Blitz.

jhocking(Posted 2003) [#2]
I don't know of any specific resource but the main points to consider are as follows:

3ds and X only support heirarchy animation, animation of separate objects within the model (note: I am referring to in Blitz. The latest .x file format has skeletal animation but Blitz does not support that part of the file format.) Neither do they support many of the special material/texture features of Blitz and only have a single UV set (relevant mainly for lightmapping.) Note however that you can apply textures in code so this isn't a huge deal. For static objects and/or objects with heirarchy animation both file formats work well.

md2 does morphing style animation. Other than that it is pretty fugly: vertex placement is inaccurate (resulting in wobbling,) lighting is inaccurate, large filesize, etc.

b3d supports virtually all Blitz3D model features. You can have skeletal animation, multitexturing, multiple UV sets, etc. Note that "skeletal animation" as a feature is useful for considerably more than just animation. For example, you can attach things to specific bones to do stuff like placing weapons in a character's hand.

Beaker(Posted 2003) [#3]
		anim quality	size	anim type	speed			blitz features
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
X/3DS		low		medium	dynamic 'tree'	fast (slow render)	-
MD2		medium		large	fixed vert	medium (fast render)	-
B3D		high		small	dynamic boned	slower (fast render)	multiple UVs and effects

They all have there uses, but B3D is good for everything apart from vert morphing (atm). Use MD2 for vert morphing.