Heroes of the Future

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Programming/Heroes of the Future

mouss38(Posted 2003) [#1]
first,some screenshots of the 3rd beta version (#10 will be the last one) :

next, do you like this title for the game :
"Heroes of The Future"

jhocking(Posted 2003) [#2]
Title sounds very generic. You'ld be much better off naming the game after something specific, possibly something in the game like the main character or world in which it takes place.

Jeremy Alessi(Posted 2003) [#3]
Looks pretty cool!

Tranz(Posted 2003) [#4]
I agree with jhocking...that title is far too generic to be interesting at all.

RexRhino(Posted 2003) [#5]
It looks a lot like Phantasy Star Online... is it going to be an online game?

podperson(Posted 2003) [#6]
My basic philosophy for naming games:

Try for one syllable or at most two (ok maybe three if it's an intrinsically memorable name). If you don't, someone else will. Hence "Trivial Pursuit" is called "Triv". "Master of Orion" is called "Moo".

Examples of Good Computer Game Names:
Doom
Quake
Myth
Halo
Tetris
Thief
Unreal
Virus

Pushing it:
EverQuest
Grand Theft Auto
Wizardry
Arena
Daggerfall

If you simply must have a longer name, try for a name that will abbreviate to one or two syllables OR has a short dominant name, e.g.
Myth II: The Fallen Lords (known as "Myth II")
Heroes of Might and Magic (known as "Heroes")
Final Fantasy VIII (strangely enough, known as "FF VIII")

Examples of Bad Computer Game Names:
Neverwinter Nights (known as "NWN")
Alien Drug Lords (known as "eeeeew!")
Prince of Destruction (unknown)

PsychicParrot(Posted 2003) [#7]
Man, I really like Heroes of the Future ... sounds commercial. All that using one 'dungeony' type word is cliche - Quake, Doom, Metal ... bah!!! Heroes of the Future is like some kind of Manga cartoon - which, by the looks of things, suits your game down to the ground??

The screenies look great... can't wait to play a demo!

_PJ_(Posted 2003) [#8]
I like the screenies, and I agree with PsychicParrot about the name, although I see your point, podperson.

mouss38(Posted 2003) [#9]
ok thanks for the tips...
i'm french and i don't have this philosophy of english titles... ;o)
even now, i can't understand how a title like "Final Fantasy" sounds good, but i like it very much... in french "Fanatasie Finale" sounds very... ridiculous.

mouss38(Posted 2003) [#10]
RexRhino, the game will be offline first, maybe multiplayer (split screens) and maybe maybe online...

Anthony Flack(Posted 2003) [#11]
Yeah, I can't say I agree with the "keep it short - no, even shorter - no, still too long" philosophy...

Oh and NWN is much harder to SAY than Neverwinter Nights

mouss38(Posted 2003) [#12]
yes NWN is just a shorcut for writing...

jhocking(Posted 2003) [#13]
I don't agree with the "keep it short" idea but I still think "Heroes of the Future" is too generic. Note how specific "Neverwinter Nights" is": it is named after Neverwinter. I think something like "Heroes of [game's setting here]" would be better.

Anthony Flack(Posted 2003) [#14]
I definitely agree here. Long titles are fine I reckon, but it's better if it's not too generic. Imagine doing a google search for your game, for eg - what will happen?

Neo Genesis10(Posted 2003) [#15]
Progressing well I see. I think a little more thought should go into the title. Its never easy to come up with names for games. If you're really happy with the title though, try modifying it slightly to see if it sounds better. Something like Heroes of Tomorrow or something. Just a thought :)