Viewing Blitz .exes on Mac

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Programming/Viewing Blitz .exes on Mac

Nmuta(Posted 2003) [#1]
I work on a PC, but I was wondering....since Macs use Open GL, are executables made with Blitz viewable on a Mac?

If they are, does this mean that there would have to be some sort of Direct X installer for Macs?

Knotz(Posted 2003) [#2]
Nmuta
1) current Blitz3d uses DirectX and, as far as I know there's no DirectX on the Mac.
2) Binary executables, such as .exe files, can not run on a Mac without an emulation program like Virtual PC. Even then i doubt if Blitz3d-made executables will run on Virtual PC becuase it lacks emulation of 3D Cards.

Steven.

ashmantle(Posted 2003) [#3]
There's a buzz about BlitzPlus and OpenGL at the moment..
perhaps there will be more information about this
in a week or so?

Hotcakes(Posted 2003) [#4]
It's unlikely that this sort of thing will be supported (at least in an official capacity) until BlitzMax. OpenGL support in BlitzPlus will probably be dodgy, and point 2) above still stands anyway.

Nmuta(Posted 2003) [#5]
Blitz plus and Open GL? Does this mean that possibly BlitzMax may have Open GL capability?

In a nutshell, I have a game I'm working on-- one version is in Blitz, the other in Macromedia Director. Director(Shockwave 3D) is 100% cross platform and is viewable on the internet, and it has real-time physics simulations via Havok, which is integrated with 3ds Max and Reactor.

But Blitz is faster, the textures are much crisper, collisions are much easier, bones animations are more easily exported IMO, and in general Blitz is more powerful in terms of raw speed.

Knotz(Posted 2003) [#6]
Nmuta:
The story goes that BlitzMax will be OpenGL based and an Apple OSX and Linux version will be available within(?) a year following the Wintel release. But I wouldn't wait on that.

Steven.

Hotcakes(Posted 2003) [#7]
Yeh it's just a fairy tale atm. It won't happen overnight, or in the next couple of years, but it WILL happen. =]

Drago(Posted 2003) [#8]
Hotcakes... why does that remind me of a certain NZer who did a shampoo comercial. ;)

Hotcakes(Posted 2003) [#9]
I can barely remember that ad. =]

Nmuta(Posted 2003) [#10]
Thanks for the input. I had a feeling Blitz may be going cross platform soon.

podperson(Posted 2003) [#11]
Director's 3D support is very nice -- it has a software renderer plus OpenGL rendering (Mac and Windows) and DirectX 5 and 7 rendering (Windows). And it runs fairly nicely in a web browser. There are also exporters for Maya, 3DS Max, and quite a lot of other high end tools to its proprietary w3d file format. But it's a lot more expensive than Blitz and it doesn't give you quite the raw performance Blitz does.

Nmuta(Posted 2003) [#12]
The software renderer in Director can be both a blessing and a curse IMO. It does allow people with crappy video cards or old drivers or who don't have Direct X to view your 3D stuff. But then what those people will see is a slow version of your project that can be very choppy and inferior looking.

It almost makes you want to restrict viewing to only people who have a fairly decent video card and Direct X, which is what Blitz does automatically

Litobyte(Posted 2003) [#13]
Director is an heavy tractor.

It does everything, so the projector (the Director's Exe) will be TONS heavier than the blitz one.

This because Director does everything, and for all the platforms.

Is not exactly meant to do 3D games (at all no!!!)

But I think is very good on the 2D side,
I did THIS SMALL GAME in few time with it.

(it is not the break-out thingy, that is the loader, wait until it loads and see the real game)

Check it out :-)

Nmuta(Posted 2003) [#14]
Zurk173

How do you get the overlay of "this game is loading" to go over the breakout game?? I have been wanting to do that.

Your game was pretty challenging...I normally lasted in the game for about 2 to 5 seconds. It would help if I could read the instructions though...maybe I'm not firing or something.

In terms of the Shockwave 3D being slower....I have thought the same thing. Since Director does EVERYTHING...which it does...and also that Lingo is kind of an antiquated, hybrid language, which accepts both "verbose" English style coding and dot syntax, I think those are all reasons it would be slower.

Soon when I get time I hope to do a frames per second test between the two to see how much faster Blitz is.

I have not done much Shockwave 2D but lots of 3D though...have you done much with the 3D? Just curious.