3d space sim speed effect

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Programming/3d space sim speed effect

c32bit(Posted 2003) [#1]
Hi all! I am working on a 3d clone of Star Raiders. I noticed that in the Sabrewing 2 game ( www.wildtangent.com )that as the player speeds through space you can see stars speeding by his ship but he never hits them. It really adds to the illusion of speed. I was wondering if anyone knows how they did this effect and could point me in the right direction?
I have posted this question on their forums but no real answer as of yet. Does anyone know how to acheive this effect? (refer to SabreWing 2)

ckob(Posted 2003) [#2]
hmm depends on how your doing ur stars. if you were using a skybox around the ship u could move the UV coordinates accordinaly to make it look like the stars were flying passed

_PJ_(Posted 2003) [#3]
Me too, c32Bit! (Although it has changed and moved on a little from star raiders now)

and I was sure I asked this before, although I cannot find the thread (searching for "Starfield") so maybe I never actually got around to it.

There IS a starfield demo in the code archives that can be easily implemented into your own project.

ckob's solution sounds good, but I am wondering how to use this (most probably with bucketfulls of trig) when dealing with inertia and momentum vectors of a spaceship pointing one way, whilst still having a velocity in a different direction.

Is this possible???

--------
dunno if this helps:

http://blitzbasic.com/bbs/posts.php?topic=20264

cyberseth(Posted 2003) [#4]
I think it would be easier just to use sprites. Position them a way infront the camera (but not directly infront the camera so that they never hit), adjust their size to suit the type of star and then just shoot them past the camera. To create the "trail" effect, you can just do some simple particle effects, or use "Homeworld trails".

9572AD(Posted 2003) [#5]
Wouldn't this just be like rain, except pointed in the direction you're not moving? :)

Several people have done rain, I think.

_PJ_(Posted 2003) [#6]
Hmm just found this, but Im at work so I cant test it yet:

http://www.blitzbasic.com/codearcs/codearcs.php?code=337

c32bit(Posted 2003) [#7]
Excellent!!! Thanks to all of you for your help with this. I really have direction to go in now. I'll keep you posted. Thanks again!!!

_PJ_(Posted 2003) [#8]
c32bit, how are you dealing with spaceflight physics? I need some help, and was wondering if you may be able to aid me in this. (Don't worry I'm not making a commercial project :-) )

Here's the thread containing my problem and a link to source code;

http://www.blitzbasic.com/bbs/posts.php?topic=17097

If you can help it'd be great! Thanks

GR(Posted 2003) [#9]
I too have a partially finished Star Raiders clone on my hd. I use a 2D stars routine behind the 3D graphics, it works well and provides me with exactly the effect I was looking for. The speed is variable depending on the thrust level(0-9), there is also a dampening effect that smoothly transitions the star movement when changing direction. I am also doing the 3d models based on the boxart for the Atari 800 version (the pyramid object in the screenshot is an unfinished test object). Good luck!