Maya plugins

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Programming/Maya plugins

Seivad Noj(Posted 2003) [#1]
Hello.
I was wondering if there is any kind of plugin for exporting Maya files (as in, anything created in Alias Wavefront Maya 4.5) into the required filetype that is supported by Blitz3D.
I've only just picked up the program a few minutes ago so I don't know an awful lot about Blitz3D, but I do know that you need two different filetypes depending on whether you use IK/Bones based animations or not for your models. I'll be looking to using IK-based animations, if that helps.

Anyway, any advice given would be extremely handy.

Ash_UK(Posted 2003) [#2]
You should be able to pickup a .3ds export plugin if you look around on the net. For example try google and search for maya 3ds export plugins. :-)

Hope this helps

IcE

PS:Have you ever tried using 3ds MAX instead? I find it extremely flexible and easy to work with. Just a thought ;-)

Gabriel(Posted 2003) [#3]
I can't imagine that anyone who had paid all the money that Maya costs would want to spend it again to get 3dsMax.

Someone was gonna work on a Maya exporter, but I gather it's not gonna happen now. Probably exporting to DirectX .X format, importing into Ultimate Unwrap and then exporting to b3d is the best route for bones animation, etc.

For static meshes and hierarchical animation, 3ds will be fine.

Seivad Noj(Posted 2003) [#4]
I would use 3D Studio MAX, but my copy isn't working at the moment so I need to wait until I get a replacement copy, plus I much prefer Maya's animation capabilities over 3D Studio MAX's.

Thanks for the help though. Should be very handy to use.

(tu) sinu(Posted 2003) [#5]
the 3ds plugin for maya isn't up to scratch if i remember correctly, it still doesn't do 3ds fully or properly ie no animations.

podperson(Posted 2003) [#6]
You could use MEL to write a script to export the model as XML then use the B3D <-> XML code to convert to B3D.

DaMaul(Posted 2003) [#7]
Why not just export from maya directly into a .x file and then load that directly into Blitz3d? I don't know if that format supports IK or anything, but I'm sure you can use maya itself to convert an IK animation to other types before you export.

Here's a .x file exporter that works pretty well:
http://www.highend3d.com/files/dl.3d?group=mayaplugins&file_loc=DirectX7Exporter-v0.0-.zip&file_id=2262

Ricky Smith(Posted 2003) [#8]
Boned animation is superior to hier... hiar... hierc..
hierark... hayaarkeu........
- that method when they move separate bits !

You can use CharacterFX to create IK/Bone animation and export directly to .b3d - its ony about $20 to register and you get great results.
Its well suited to animating low polygon characters and easier to learn and use than most top level modelling/animation packages.
I have never used Maya - couldn't afford that AND Max.
If you have access to Max's Character Studio then it is quite easy to create good animation using Biped but there's no simple way to get this into Blitz3D (I havent yet tried the .x route - I need to buy Ultimate Unwrap)- I am waiting to try the latest version of Rob's (Redflame) Max to B3D exporter (when its finished). This will allow you to export Biped/Physique animation straight to .B3D. The current version works very well and has a great "Blitz Material" but doesn't export animation.
Good luck with whatever route you choose.