Taking the 3d plunge

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Programming/Taking the 3d plunge

gnipper(Posted 2003) [#1]
Ok, so I was going to write my Horse racing/gambling game with a 2d racetrack but after looking at the 3d manual I decided 3d is the way to go! So im looking to use some sort of textured plane for the ground and building some 3d models for buildings, fences etc. etc. is this the best way around it - or will it be better and easier to build a "level" and use that as my ractrack? Also, which is/are the best 3d modelers/renderers to use? Im looking at Maplett and AC3D but struggling, need some tutorials - any ideas?

Look forward to hearing from you all!

(tu) sinu(Posted 2003) [#2]
i'd build the tracks as levels in a 3d app. I use max so i can really advise you on the apps you using.

i once was coding a horse racing game in blitz, had it all done in 2d, no graphics added just text but all it needed was a graphics engine intergrated.
It had deep horse stats like health, stamina ,speed , sprintspeed, fitness_level, iq_level, aggression , discipline and so on, something like 20+ stats.
Loved watching the races(just text) but seeing stuff like chesters in the lead, but mildew is closing etc.
and when stuff like a horses stamina was getting low comments like fitzgerald montegue seems to be slowing down, it looks like he's TIRING!!
If a horse got too far behind stuff like "Oh dear, the jockey must be wishing he hadn't turned up, by the time he finishes the crowd will have left!"

poopla(Posted 2003) [#3]
3d is a good plunge to make, fun stuff :)

gnipper(Posted 2003) [#4]
LOL at Sinu

I did code this game once on my old Amiga - 2d of course. Worked fairly well!

Need to dabble in the fine art of 3d some more first however - might try a combination of 3d images and the text - I like some of your ideas and I may pinch them!!

(tu) sinu(Posted 2003) [#5]
have you seen those horseracing machines in amusement parks, the ones on straight tracks where you bet on a horse and they race, you might wanna try doing something like that in 3d, it would really be 2d but using 3d graphics, then build from there.

gnipper(Posted 2003) [#6]
yeah, how many 10p's have I lost in them!!!

Im tryin to figure which level moddeling tool to use - any ideas?

Steve Elliott(Posted 2003) [#7]
Quill from Idigicon is looking good. It's not out just yet - you have to pre-order.