Rotating each triangle in a surface individually?

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Programming/Rotating each triangle in a surface individually?

Gabriel(Posted 2003) [#1]
Before I ask, I should point out that I'm allergic to matrices and the only way I know how to do vertex transformations is matrices... so hopefully there's an easier way.

I have a surface made up of lots of triangles. Each triangle is separate, however. Think single surface particle engine. That's the deal.

I can move each triangle without too much fuss. But How do I rotate each triangle around it's respective center?

cyberseth(Posted 2003) [#2]
A bit of Sine and Cosine. And it depends whether you want to rotate it about its Pitch, Yaw or Roll.

It would be something like this for pitch:

pitch#=pitch#+1
yaw#=yaw#+.5
For i=0 To 2
    ang# = 120*i  ;<-- Triangle Point
    x# = Sin(ang)*Cos(yaw)
    y# = Sin(ang)*Sin(pitch)
    z# = Cos(ang)*Cos(pitch)+Sin(ang)*Sin(yaw)
    VertexCoords surf,i,x,y,z
Next

A good way of working out whether to multiply by Sin or Cos is to remember that Sin starts off as 0 and goes to 1 at 90 degrees, whereas Cos is the other way round. So in terms of the x,y,z coordinates, think whether your vertex coordinate is stretched out at the start or if it is 0.

Gabriel(Posted 2003) [#3]
I've looked it over several times, but I can't honestly say as I understand it. Like I said, I never got taught 3d geometry and I really don't get much of it. Blitz usually handles it for me.

/EDIT : removed all the old waffle I wrote before.

Basically I just want a function which will rotate a triangle from a single surface mesh as though it was a separate entity. If each triangle was a separate entity I could use : TurnEntity triangle,ax#,ay#,az#

Well I need an equivalent to that.

I'm gonna post a request in the features request forum. It'd be nice if we didn't have to struggle with the maths. Particularly since multiple surfaces cause such a performance hit.

Birdie(Posted 2003) [#4]
Hi Sybixsus,
I didn't see your post here. Same reply. The below will rotate a selected triangle in increments of ax#,ay#,az#

Any use ?

:)

Function TurnTriangle(surf,index,ax#,ay#,az#)
	Local CosAX#=Cos(ax),SinAX#=Sin(ax)
	Local CosAY#=Cos(ay),SinAY#=Sin(ay)
	Local CosAZ#=Cos(az),SinAZ#=Sin(az)
	Local x#[2],y#[2],z#[2],i[2]
	Local avx#,avy#,avz#

For a=0 To 2
		i[a]=TriangleVertex(surf,index,a)
		x[a]=VertexX(surf,i[a])
		y[a]=VertexY(surf,i[a])
		z[a]=VertexZ(surf,i[a])
		avx=avx+x[a]
		avy=avy+y[a]
		avz=avz+z[a]
	Next
	ox#=avx/Float(3)
	oy#=avy/Float(3)
	oz#=avz/Float(3)
	For a=0 To 2
		x[a]=x[a]-ox
		y[a]=y[a]-oy
		z[a]=z[a]-oz
		;rotate on x
		ty#=y[a]*cosAX+z[a]*sinAX
		z[a]=z[a]*cosAX-y[a]*sinAX
		y[a]=ty
		;rotate on y
		tx#=x[a]*cosAY+z[a]*sinAY
		z[a]=z[a]*cosAY-x[a]*sinAY
		x[a]=tx
		;rotate on z
		tx#=x[a]*cosAZ+y[a]*sinAZ
		y[a]=y[a]*cosAZ-x[a]*sinAZ
		x[a]=tx
		x[a]=x[a]+ox
		y[a]=y[a]+oy
		z[a]=z[a]+oz
		VertexCoords surf,i[a],x[a],y[a],z[a]
	Next
End Function

Gabriel(Posted 2003) [#5]
Oh yes, that's perfect. I was kludging something together from some code that Fredborg posted a while back, but it wasn't working quite right ( my fault, not his )

That's great.. thanks for the help :D

You should put that in the codearchives.. I can't be the only one who would benefit from that.

fredborg(Posted 2003) [#6]
...I was kludging something together from some code that Fredborg posted a while back...

Hey, I don't remember any code supposed to doing that :) Just out of curiosity, what was it?

Good to see people giving a hand :)
Fredborg

Gabriel(Posted 2003) [#7]
It was a thread Rob started in this forum, where he said he was looking for something to replace turnentity() and rotateentity() for a single surface mesh.

It involved creating a pivot, rotating it to the correct angle and then using TFormPoint to calculate the new coordinates for each vertex.

Chip&Chop(Posted 2003) [#8]
I think you are talking about the single surface particle system... but i don't see it in the forum :(

Gabriel(Posted 2003) [#9]
Yes that sounds like it. But I don't think it's in this forum, I think it was in advanced 3d. Off to see if I can find it.

Edit : Yep, it's there still.

http://www.blitzbasic.com/bbs/posts.php?topic=18309

It was rotating a single vertex, but I figured I could kludge it into what I needed, but I didn't get it quite right. I didn't spend long on it though, because Birdie posted his function shortly after I started.