ZELDA (GAMECUBE!)

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Programming/ZELDA (GAMECUBE!)

Ash_UK(Posted 2003) [#1]
Hi guys, does anyone have any idea how i might be able to get "cartoon effect" to that of "ZELDA:THE WIND WAKER" on Gamecube?
I currently have a function working that uses the "Cell shaded outline" technique, but i want to be able to get a flat "cartoon shaded" effect. Maybe its something to do with light commands?
Please, this would really help me out and make my day if you could do this for me.
Cheers guys

IcE

Ash_UK(Posted 2003) [#2]
Just to make it easier to explain what i have so far, here is a screenshot:

Thanks again

IcE

taxlerendiosk(Posted 2003) [#3]
If you want everything to look flat and cartoonish, try AmbientLight 255,255,255 and no light sources.

Ash_UK(Posted 2003) [#4]
cheers Denzil, i'll try that and see how it goes :-)

Thanks again

IcE

Ash_UK(Posted 2003) [#5]
Great, it works!!! :-)
Now just one more little thing, how would i get a little highlighting in there? (Forgive me for being annoying).
Many thanks for your help Denzil.
:-)

IcE

jhocking(Posted 2003) [#6]
For rounded objects (ie. not those houses) flat shading can be pretty effectively faked using spherical environment mapping. Assuming light coming from above, create an image which is white for the top two thirds and grey for the bottom third. Apply this as a second texture layer, using spherical environment mapping and settin blending to multiply.

JaviCervera(Posted 2003) [#7]
You must create a texture woth some shaded tiles, from the darkest one to the brightest. You must update the UV coords of the mesh every frame to make each vertex use the correct shade. There are many tutorials out there (look @ www.gamedev.net) which explain the routine to get the correct UV coords.

(tu) sinu(Posted 2003) [#8]
i've just restarted doing my game in the windwaker style too, need to get a better way too do also, my link model is cool to, nearly finished remodelling him.

Ash_UK(Posted 2003) [#9]
Hi guys, sorry i'm late with a reply. I woke up a bit late :-).
Anyway thanks very much for all your kind help, i just go and try that multi-texture (spherical mapping) technique and see how it goes.
Once again, many thanks to all of you.

IcE

Genexi2(Posted 2003) [#10]
A little OT, but what the heck is "Spherical mapping" anyway?

Ash_UK(Posted 2003) [#11]
Hmmmm, i can't seem to get the multi-texturing woking.Can anyone tell me how to acomplish this please?
Genexi2, Spherical mapping will give you a reflection effect on your objects, like that of the teapot demo.You can achive by (loadtexture("nameofyourtexture",64) then apply it to and entity using entiytexture.

:-)
And so, if anyone could help me with that multi-texturing thing i would be very grateful.

Thanks again guys

IcE

SSS(Posted 2003) [#12]
use the HWMultiTex True command to enable multitextureing,
then load your texture and do
EntityTexture yourobject,texture,1
and there you go, i think

SSS(Posted 2003) [#13]
use the HWMultiTex True command to enable multitextureing,
then load your texture and do
EntityTexture yourobject,texture,1
and there you go, i think

Ash_UK(Posted 2003) [#14]
Thanks very much SSS, it works like a chrm now!!!! :-)

Thanks again

IcE

SSS(Posted 2003) [#15]
just wondering if anyone had any means to make textures look cartoony

thanks