sprites

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Programming/sprites

SSS(Posted 2003) [#1]
hi all, im trying to make a shadow and load it as a sprite but it is to light is there anyway to make it darker?
also my method of doing a shadow im a bit suspicous of at the moment, im making a sprite, setting my players render status above everything else and my shadow status above everything but my player...

jhocking(Posted 2003) [#2]
That seems like a pretty unecessary way to do your shadow and will give problems if any objects come between the player and camera or shadow and camera (the player/shadow will be rendered on top of what should be an occluding object.) Just make sure that the shadow sprite is placed correctly on the ground and don't mess with the rendering order.

As for it being too light, you're going to have to be more specific. That is a pretty vague description and thus could mean almost anything. You should probably also describe your method of shadowcasting.

For future reference be more descriptive in your title. "Sprites" has little to do with your actual question.

SSS(Posted 2003) [#3]
sry, im doing my shadow by loading a sprite with differently shaded grey circles into blitz, i place this under my player but the shadow is v. light and so it does not look right :)

jhocking(Posted 2003) [#4]
I may need you to be more specific than that. I'm gonna take a guess that the grey circles are on a white background and you are setting the sprites to "multiply" blend mode so that the shadows darken and blend with the surface underneath. If not that's what you should be doing. If that is what you are doing then obvously you need to make the grey circles darker.

DarkEagle(Posted 2003) [#5]
entitycolor command.

SSS(Posted 2003) [#6]
thanks, i was doing blendmode add instead of multiply

IPete2(Posted 2003) [#7]
SSS,

You can alter the entityalpha for them too I believe.

Make it 0.5 and play from there.

IPete2.

jhocking(Posted 2003) [#8]
Using EntityColor would make the entire sprite darker, not just the grey circle for the shadow. Lowering alpha would make the shadow lighter, not darker.

SSS(Posted 2003) [#9]
thanks all but i got it :)