camera scaling ??!!

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Programming/camera scaling ??!!

Second Chance(Posted 2003) [#1]
I was just messing around with scaling the camera after reading some talk about it. What EXACTLY does it do? I set the camera range to 0.001,200 (which gives me the scale I want), and took the camera out to about 150 and the spheres (scale 50,50,50 one partially occluding the other) I was looking at did what they should and started to get clipped at the far range. Then I took the camera in to 0.001 from the surface and got nice and close. Then I dynamically set the camera scale (so I could watch the result) to 100(default 1). That would seem to give me a camera range of 0.001 to 20000!!!!! There was no distortion AT ALL! I was able to move the camera back until the spheres were tiny pinpoints thousands of units away, then close in to 0.001 and NO APPARENT Z-BUFFER PROBLEMS?!?! In fact, I noticed that as I increased the scale to 100 the area where the one sphere occludes the other actually became more stable(less jittery during movement)! What the HECK is going on? Is this some kind of MAGIC procedure to get a GIGANTIC camera range with insanely small resolution? My head is still spinning. I didn't expect this to happen. Could someone explain how you can have that kind of range and still get that close to an object? If the camera range scales up, why doesn't the resolution (i can get 20000 away and still 0.001 close)?

*edit* - OK, looks like the near range did scale up. My camera movement resolution just wasn't small enough for me to realize it. Still pretty amazing though.