Garbage-collector

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Programming/Garbage-collector

GameLab(Posted 2003) [#1]
Hi.
I need some help with the B3D garbage collection mechanism.
First, I am not sure there is one, which can be invoked explicitly.
If there is one, please let me know.
I have created this software for a company, and it runs on multimedia kiosks, where the computer stays on 24/7.
\So far, the program works great, except for the fact that, sometimes, every ten hours or so, it freezes for a couple of minutes and then continues normaly, as if nothing had happened.
The time it stays frozen varies from a couple of minutes to up to 10 minutes.
I wonder if this could be the garbage collector doing its work.
Maybe not.
But, if there is a way to activate it at anytime, I would like to know.
Thanks a lot,
/R

Skitchy(Posted 2003) [#2]
It's not the computers hard drive doing 'stuff' is it? If my hard drive shuts off automatically, it can cause quite a bump when it comes back on. Nothing like ten minutes though. Check all the power management stuff is off.

I've left prgrams running for days at a time before, and have never noticed this - I wasn't constantly monitoring them however :/

Beaker(Posted 2003) [#3]
Blitz doesn't really do much garbage collection AFAIK. It is more likely an issue with Windows or the computer.

You could simulate a clean-up by freeing all objects and switching graphics mode. But, I doubt it will make a difference.

yinch(Posted 2003) [#4]
If you can - maybe you can run a system monitoring utility like System Doctor from Norton. Activate sensors to monitor CPU, Physical Memory and Virtual memory.

If you have a look at the graphs when that 'stall' happens - you should be able to determine if it is indeed garbage collection (i.e. if Phys Memory rises after the event)

yinch'03

podperson(Posted 2003) [#5]
Do you know for a fact Windows isn't doing something stupid with Task Scheduler?