How to make Blacksmoke

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Programming/How to make Blacksmoke

Neochrome(Posted 2003) [#1]
How do i make a black smoke partical system?

poopla(Posted 2003) [#2]
well in general you wont design the system specifically for black smoke. The best way is to use a white, I repeate WHITE texture with all alpha info etc needed fr the particle. If you use this you can have a particle of any color you desire. By using entitycolor() on your particles you can have smoke, fire, exhaust etc. Eg, smoke particle > EntityColor(Particle, 20,20,20).

[Edit] Mind that if you want full control over the particles alpha runtime, you need an "intense" white color in the texture. Eg: 255,255,255

Rob(Posted 2003) [#3]
Just use a solid black texture with the relevent alpha channel for thick oily smoke.

Rob(Posted 2003) [#4]
Use png or tga with alpha.

The alpha channel dictates the smoke shape, the texture dictates the color in this case.

Neochrome(Posted 2003) [#5]
i never thought id find making smoke difficult.. i will try this when i get home.. Cheers again guys!

Grphics design is always been my let down.. I can code most things, but graphics?

Anthony Flack(Posted 2003) [#6]
I must reiterate what Dev said, and disagree with Rob - make your smoke WHITE and you can then darken it in blitz, or make it any other colour you like. Make it black, and you can't do anything with the colour at all.

Neochrome(Posted 2003) [#7]
if i have white smoke, and colorentity the black area's are alpha's much worse.. it didn't work.. anyone got an example?

Anthony Flack(Posted 2003) [#8]
Are you actually using the alpha channel on your graphic, and setting the alpha flag on the texture? Perhaps post your code?

BTW, I know you've had it for ages, but I finally have ask - what is with that guy, with the world's largest butt and teeth, doing that squatty thing, with ripped clothes?

Neochrome(Posted 2003) [#9]
yupp. it still looks wrong!

Peer(Posted 2003) [#10]
It's a bit tricky. First create a Sprite via CreateSprite(). Then load a texture via Loadtexture(). Then apply texture to Sprite.

Entitycolor() 199 and more makes white Smoke
Entitycolor() 128 and less makes black Smoke

Be careful. Loadsprite() !!!DOES NOT WORK!!! (I havent got it since jet)

Peer(Posted 2003) [#11]
Vorgotten something. Loadtexture(Path$, 2)

Anthony Flack(Posted 2003) [#12]
Please tell me about the butt+teeth man. I'll go through your code if you post it...

Neochrome(Posted 2003) [#13]
Anthony Flack.. actualy i got it working!
I wasn't saving the PNG file with alpha chanels!! I have PhotoShop6, im used to 7

Thanks you guys! and again. sorry for this stress of something quite simple! haha

Peer(Posted 2003) [#14]
Oh. I had this problem long time befor, too. And I hadn't a board to ask it. I thaught weeks after weeks. Then I found a game on Blitzcoder with source which used Black smoke. I haven't understand why it's black because I had the same commands only with Loadsprite(). Then I copyed it and It worked. Then I had the Idea with LoadTexture() aand It worked fine.

I think this and the permanent Alpha Level of Sprites are bugs. I don't see any sence in that :-)

Neochrome(Posted 2003) [#15]
hehe.. all i say is, If you dont ask, you wont learn.. I do ask a lot of questions tho.. But it least i know how do them now

Anthony Flack(Posted 2003) [#16]
Oh, good! Does that mean I don't get to find out about your odd man now, though? He disturbs me. I kind of think of him as being you, too.

Neochrome(Posted 2003) [#17]
Odd man?
hehe, way back in the amiga days, i had a Amiga Format Mag on this "Odd man" is actualy called Booger-man, he plays a man who farts to kill things.. and i draw it using a mouse and 16 colours of amiga colours!

Anthony Flack(Posted 2003) [#18]
Oh, okay - so he was in a game?

Neochrome(Posted 2003) [#19]
yupp. a long time ago..

you can actualy look it up on Google! LOL

JAW(Posted 2003) [#20]
It's quite disturbing though..
*Adds www.neomancer.co.uk to his hosts file* :)