3D newbie woes

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Programming/3D newbie woes

asbjorn(Posted 2003) [#1]
Hi,

I apologise in advance since this might be a question that's been asked a billion times before. Please bare with me.

I've moddeled an object in Milkshape and exported it as a .b3d file. Then loaded it into blitz.

My problem is that every other triangle in my object is in a very odd color. The problem is not that bad when not using flat shading, but I'd like to use that option. I am not sure what I've done wrong or how to solve the problem.

Thank you very much in advance for any help.

Sincerely,

Thomas

FlameDuck(Posted 2003) [#2]
Does "UpdateNormals" help?

asbjorn(Posted 2003) [#3]
Hi Mikkel,

no, updatenormals doesn't seem to help at all.

I've even tried to save a simple unaltered cube in MilkShape. That is without textures or anything. The result seems to be the same; triangles are colored oddly.

I'm at a complete loss as what to do.

jhocking(Posted 2003) [#4]
The flat-shaded rendering effect behaves very oddly with regard to lighting (and color apparently.) I don't recommend you do that.

maverick(Posted 2003) [#5]
thats a load of cobblers ,, if he want`s flat shading thats what he should get ,,, the problem is in the way the blitz3d engine displays vertex normals from 3ds files ect (which to me points to a fault in the import parser as opposed to the moddeler).

I had exactly the same problem , when exporting a mesh from 3DSmax5.1 and loading into blitz , all my surfaces went tits up also , this isn`t a fault of 3ds as 3ds displays them properly and it happens to be descreets format so they`d know.

The fault lies with blitz`s import function.

Asbjorn ,, to get around this fault in max use robs B3D exporter script (not the one in the blits pipeline thats floating about as this generates the same fault)

As for milkshape i don`t know as i have not used it much , but the problem is the same and is to do with VERTEX NORMALS as Flameduck has hinted at , possibly there should be a lot more done about this (what i would define as) BUG

Zephar123(Posted 2003) [#6]
post up a link to the model and ill see what needs to be doen to fix it.

Caff(Posted 2003) [#7]
He's using Milkshape -

Asjbjorn, look under 'Specs & Utils' at the top of this page, and download the 'Milkshape Exporter' to .b3d by Mark Sibly.

The .b3d format is more flexible for modelling for Blitz3d, so comes recommended.

[edit]
Wait a second, this thread is five months old! Why's this been dug up?
[/edit]

Codemonger(Posted 2003) [#8]
Time warp ...

Batman(Posted 2003) [#9]
5 Months old??? Oh well, I'll post anyway ;)

I've had problems with Milkshape displaying some of the exported .b3d models in "odd" colors (if this is what you are refering to).

I was able to correct this by changing the "Ambient", "Diffuse", "Specular" and "Emissive" Properties under the "Materials" section.

Not sure if this is the same problem you're having... but thought I would post it anyway.