Astro Warrior Space Sim Project

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Programming/Astro Warrior Space Sim Project

Der Vampyr Engel(Posted 2003) [#1]
Hello I have been thinking about this for some time now whether to go the same way as Techlord and have a project open for the community, basically, Astro Warrior will be a simple space simulator along the lines of Asteriods and Gaxlaian rolled into one, for anyone who ever played Galaxian at all when they where younger, with some hints of Battlezone thrown in, some levels the player will be in a tracked or wheel tank, a hovercraft tank or hovertank and will also be able to get in and out of vehicles as well.

These levels are put in so it dosen't get boring just being in a spaceship all the time and you will still be able to fly space jet planes over the planet surface as well.

What Astro Warrior needs is:
Programmers:
Vehicle Programming
Pheriphal Programmimg
Mission Programmers
2D Artists:
H.U.D'S
A.V.I (e.t.c)
3D Artists
Musicians

Depending on the response I get, if people are interested, then Astro Warrior will become the next community Project after Project Plasma, so if anyone wants to contribute, please post here bye:)

Dr Derek Doctors(Posted 2003) [#2]
Why don't you just try writing it yourself? It doesn't exactly sound like the biggest game in the world.

Der Vampyr Engel(Posted 2003) [#3]
I am doing something for the 1st one also I am sure I asked for people who where interested in the project,

Chroma(Posted 2003) [#4]
I've always wanted to do a space combat sim. I'm tied up at the moment but I will do some modeling and hand over some laser and vector code.

Can I help develop the story? :o>

Ricky Smith(Posted 2003) [#5]
I would really like to assist with this - I´ve got some really cool Space Combat A.I. with formations, targetting systems and "intelligent" wingmen that I´ve been working on for a while.You can jump in and control any friendly vehicle at will.Curently am working on the Orders menu system - planning to use a Swot-like text system.
At the moment the ship control is Mouse or Keyboard only - been waiting for the latest joystick controls to implement this but its next on the list.
I´ll try and post this somewhere this coming weekend so you can have a look - very much wip at moment.I can supply some music too - real music not remixed loops - with real guitar and bass etc - I use Cubasis VST with Amplitube.
Hope this takes off.
Cheers from an old Space Rocker !

Chroma(Posted 2003) [#6]
Here's some joystick code that will allow you to roll and pitch at a specified rate. Here' you can pitch 60 degrees per second and roll 120 degrees per second. The time delta (dt) ensures everyone pitches and yaws at the same rate. Each ship could have a slightly different pitch and yaw rate for design differences. We can put some roll in there too.

Since it's space, we don't have to worry about terrestrial physics! Woot!

PitchRate=60
YawRate=120
Jpitch# = -JoyY() * PitchRate * dt
Jyaw#  = -JoyX() * YawRate * dt

Ricky Smith(Posted 2003) [#7]
Nice !
I´ll do my best to get a working demo out asap - I´m currently using very basic working models so it aint pretty but the combat is quite realistic.

Der Vampyr Engel(Posted 2003) [#8]
Smart one Chroma, smart one guy's , still we need to sort the tanks out, I was thinking, why not have some hovercraft tanks as well, as they are possible to make in real life now, thanks to Aeromobile, I will try and make some I already have some models up, looking forward to your demo Smiff :), and I will , when my PC's are back up on line, get the joystick controls working for it, tell me what joysticks and wheels you have I will start off if you wish, I have the Thrustmaster Afterburner with full size throttle USB and Genius Speedwheel serial port, reason I put this down is because I have had some USB trouble with mine since getting a new motherboard.

My joystick doesn't work, I think it is also because it is USB 1.0 or 1.1 and I have my printer which has a USB 2.0 lead going into it. Hopefully I can resolve this problem, when it does work, it uses Joy U axis for the throttle

Der Vampyr Engel(Posted 2003) [#9]
Yes you can help Chroma, what idea's have you got, at the moment all I have is this, you basically destroy asteroids and fight UFO'S and , on some planets, you have a tank war with aliens (Battlezone style), at the end, the aliens build a massive War Machine(X-COM Interceptor, Freespace series style) to destroy Earth and you and your forces have to destroy it, I must stress though, this game is not an R.T.S.

it' s mainly a space flight simulator with a bit of hovercraft tank and hovertank action in it to break the monotany of alway's being in a space ship all the time, and the planet earth forces are called Earthforce, apart from that, that is basically it really and if anyone wants to develop more on the story they can. :)

Der Vampyr Engel(Posted 2003) [#10]
I have modified the X-Fighter demo so when I get my PC's back up, I will see what I can do with that, make player controlled spaceships and tanks as well if you wish, one thing though, make the tanks so players and A.I. can get in and out of them, but apart from that, I 'm easy :), by the way, how do I get pictures up here on the forum? as I want to post pictures up on here

Ricky Smith(Posted 2003) [#11]
I'm working on joystick control now.........
I have a Logitech Wingman Strike Force 3D FFB - its USB too but I've had no probs..so far.

Der Vampyr Engel(Posted 2003) [#12]
I see, well it must be my motherboard, this Jetway crap, I have heard some bad things about it, still ,hope to be up and running soon

Der Vampyr Engel(Posted 2003) [#13]
I did work on joystick control and got the X-fighter demo to work using the Joystick X Y and U commands Smiff, so you might want to try that, and even if I get my USB stick to work again, I am going to get a USB to Serial port to see if serial port throttles use the U or Z axis, I would be very interested in your A.I. work as well, I was thinking that we could use the old "Wing Commander" communications system as that seems more flexible for having more wingmen on your wing for both spacecraft and land vehicles, looking forward to your demo Smiff and yes your music will be appreciated although I will be using music from my late girlfriend's band "Blue Anger" June 18th 1954-Jan 14th 2002, it is a very sad day for me today as this is the anniversary of her death

Chroma(Posted 2003) [#14]
Bump...cmon...let's beat Earth and Beyond.

Ricky Smith(Posted 2003) [#15]
Still working on the demo - suffering from scope creep - trying to include as many features as possible - have to draw a line somewhere but I want to make the demo a sort of mini-game. Watch this space ! (no pun intended)

Der Vampyr Engel(Posted 2003) [#16]
HA HAAA Smiff, still got to get this damn PC a damn monitor as soon as possible, then, back to work, we will all just have to construct a general purpose 3D engine I think one that can do a space sim as well as a 1st person vehicle/FPS shooter

Chroma(Posted 2003) [#17]
Sounds good to me. I'm gonna model a spaceship for testing.

Der Vampyr Engel(Posted 2003) [#18]
I ve been thinking, I have a fairly useless 3D Game engine called 3D RAD, but it does have some excellent good points, if we could write vehicles, NPC charector's, and views as brains and get either Worldspin editor or make another eidtor with Solar System or Cyberspace space to put whole planets in (like what can be done with MojoWorld Generator)
I would say that would be much easier and quicker to get a game constructed.

We could do the same thing with speed indicators, unit indicators, and other counters and cockpit insturments, thereby cutting the development time down, what do you say guy's?:) I have seen a similar type of process done in the Fly 3D game engine, I have a name for our engine, The Vampyre 3D Engine, hopefully over time, we can put more things in like RPG elements in it and R.T.S. elements as well so eventually you can do most 3D game projects with it , not sure about scripting language, Python? or just keep it as it is?

Der Vampyr Engel(Posted 2003) [#19]
I myself would prefer Python and then we could have the engine read all current DirectX axis's and input perphails have it controlled by a Python scripting language, making it very easy for beginners to program thier own games very quickly and easily, as Blitz basic is a Programming language and not a games engine so I have been informed, in a way it makes it difficult but in a way it gives you a lot of freedom to try things if this is so.

Ricky Smith(Posted 2003) [#20]
I would prefer that all code remain 100% Blitz with dll's for peripherals when required. I dallied with 3D RAD many moons ago - initially it was quite impressive but its far too limited to do anything serious.

I think this whole "Engine" question is superfluous - all a 3D Engine is is a collection of functions that work together to simulate a Real -World 3D scenario - I would feel uncomfortable writing a set of functions in Blitz or any other high level language and then saying that I had created a 3D engine - when really the 3D Engine is DirectX neatly wrapped up and exposed to you by Blitz. Even if you write your own lower level functions in C++ you are just wrapping up either DirectX or OpenGL functions that have already been written by someone else !
It is possible in theory to write your own version of OpenGL - like Microsoft did - DirectX is Microsoft's version of OpenGL - and then one could claim to have written an engine.
Regarding scripting - once again this can be achived with Blitz.
There are examples of Blitz scripting engines in the Blitz code archives.

The demo is nearing completion.
Things left to do:
- Upgrade to latest Blitz version and incorporate the Joystick Axis functions.
- Finalise Wingman orders system (90% complete) .
- Create better working model for Friendly fighters.

Chroma(Posted 2003) [#21]
Uh...you want to use Python? I'll have to pass...

Der Vampyr Engel(Posted 2003) [#22]
OK Smiff I 'll take that as a no then stick with Blitz and if I understand you correctly it doesn't really matter what language you use, your still controlling the DirectX engine anyway and Chroma, why are you so against Python? Is it that bad?:)Still let's just keep it as it is language wise.

I have quite a few 3D models of fighters so I will select one actually I have one especially for this project, I am very interested in the concept of spaceplanes and as their are now new plastics developed to make it a reality, that is what I based mine on with and ion drive engines, toying with the idea of nuclear engines being introduced for initial thrust, either than or Bussard's ramjet engines, still that might come into any story and I have to wait and see what Chroma has come up with for a story.

Chroma(Posted 2003) [#23]
It's just much easier to use Blitz to control DirectX (at least in my case).

Der Vampyr Engel(Posted 2003) [#24]
Smiff, how do you include DLL'S into Blitz exactly as I would love to use Pepsi's joystick DLL?

Der Vampyr Engel(Posted 2003) [#25]
Sorry that I have been away for a while, I only just moved and I have had quite a few problems still with the USB joysticks, still I have a Genius Speewheel so hopefully I can try and get a simple demo up, I am still looking for people to do this project, it is a coomunity project and sll code will be open resource if members agree to it:)

Tri|Ga|De(Posted 2003) [#26]
You can use my Outer Space Maker.

Get it on Blitzcoder and Blitz Showcase

Der Vampyr Engel(Posted 2003) [#27]
Thanks TGD

Der Vampyr Engel(Posted 2003) [#28]
OK I have had a lot of problems with my motherboard which is a Jetway FBU4XU if I remember it correctly as it uses VIA KT266 which cannot detect USB H.O.T.A.S. systems and it has recently blown on me, meaning I need a new PSU and new DDR 184 chips for my new MSI 845E Motherboard( soon I shall build an Atholon )so bear with me and Astro Warrior will be started again

I have also, before my motherboard went, got a lot of code for 3D RAD so I will complete a demo for Solar Dominon and Astro Warrior so people will know how I vision the game

Then I will want to do it in Blitz Basic and I am of to get that new book, bye

_PJ_(Posted 2003) [#29]

I would really like to assist with this - I´ve got some really cool Space Combat A.I. with formations, targetting systems and "intelligent" wingmen that I´ve been working on for a while.You can jump in and control any friendly vehicle at will.Curently am working on the Orders menu system - planning to use a Swot-like text system.
At the moment the ship control is Mouse or Keyboard only - been waiting for the latest joystick controls to implement this but its next on the list.

Wow - I'd really like to see this. I am currently working on a 3D space combat/trading game which I will release all the source for. Unfortunately I am having a little difficulty with the spaceflight physics at the moment, but as soon as I get over this hurdle, a lot of ideas can come to fruition. I am writing in the style of a series of included routines which can be independently edited and upgraded.

Der Vampyr Engel(Posted 2003) [#30]
Excellent Malice, climb aboard, I have to get a few things done(like rebulid my Pentuim 4 with a new motherboard, again) but the more the merrier and I was thinking that we should really concentrate on building a reusable engine with Astro Warrior, complete with tanks and spaceplanes and hovertanks plus other vechiles and with all the physics included