What does a blitz3D exe file need to run on windows?

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Programming/What does a blitz3D exe file need to run on windows?

A4E(Posted June) [#1]
My game that I am making in Blitz3D work on several laptops and my stationary computer running windows 7 and 8. And I have had other people online tell me or prove that my game works.

But there have still been people proving with a stream, or telling me with screen captures that the game just will not start. They get some runtime error when they try to start the exe file.

So my question is, what kind of system resources does a blitz3D game need to run?

I remember that I am forcibly trying to load the Tahoma font. Is that a bad idea? Will some windows systems just not have that font? Could that be the problem? I will probably add alternatives regardless now tough.

I have heard and looked online that Blitz3D, and games made with it, needs direct x. Is this true? And is the 'best' version nr 7? What kind of installer or anything could I add in my game for windows 10 users?

Matty(Posted June) [#2]
Maybe you are setting a screen resolution they cannot use?

Maybe you are writing files to a protected folder without permission?

A4E(Posted June) [#3]
-Maybe you are setting a screen resolution they cannot use?

A small window opens at the start to choose settings, such as screen resolution, and no one has told me that they get to that window, but not further. They just tell me that it just wont start.

-Maybe you are writing files to a protected folder without permission?

That can happen, because there is some writing, but again, shouldn't the program actually start first, and then open the first window, before failing at writing the settings to disk?

Or will the program refuse to start on windows, in a protected folder, if it detects any kind of writing on disk in the program by scanning the program before running it? Is windows THAT advanced?

Appreciate the questions, and sorry for not making my problem more clear.

A4E(Posted June) [#4]
I was starting to really think that its about forcibly loading the font. But now I see, and saw before as well, that Tahoma is supposed to be a "system font", so then idk.

laytonkinyon(Posted June) [#5]
I know that blitz3D requires DirectPlay to run, I'm assuming the games require DirectPlay as well. Maybe they don't have DirectPlay installed on their system?

A4E(Posted June) [#6]
@laytonkinyon I turned Directplay off, and then when I compiled the game, windows immediately said that a program needs Directplay to run. So you are correct about that. So now I hope that this is the problem for those who could not run it, and will give instructions for that.

is there anywhere I can donate 10 dollars to you?

Yue(Posted June) [#7]
You can copy the DirectPlay.dll library to the game directory. Possibly the problem is solved, since this is only requested in Windows 10.

A4E(Posted June) [#8]
I found a file called "Microsoft.DirectX.Directplay.dll"

is it the file you are talking about?

So putting it in the game root will work well?

Am I going to get problems with Microsoft for sharing their file?

laytonkinyon(Posted June) [#9]
@A4E you don't have to pay me, I'm just happy to help, but if you insist, then my email is laytonkinyon@...

laytonkinyon(Posted June) [#10]
@A4E
Yes the file is Microsoft.DirectX.Directplay.dll, and it's all over the web to download, so I'm sure you can share it, but I'd double check.

Yue(Posted June) [#11]
The Directplay.dll library file is on the Windows system32.
On the source you can distribute it with the game.

A4E(Posted June) [#12]
Thanks a lot guys!! <3