CreateLIght spoth.

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Programming/CreateLIght spoth.

Yue(Posted May) [#1]
As I can make the best use of the spot light, to have nice results, for example to create a street lamp and on the ground the view of the range of the cone.

Low Poly.

High Poly.

Apparently for pleasant effects the soil has to have a lot of triangles.

Hardcoal(Posted May) [#2]
Yue i will need you help about light in xors in the future :) thats for sure..

Flanker(Posted May) [#3]
Is that Blitz3D or Xors3D ?

If you use vertex lighting (like Blitz3D) on a flat surface then yes you need to subdivide the surface for a nice spot effect. I think RemiD worked on a lighting program a few months ago and pointed out the same thing.

However, with shaders you can do per-pixel lighting wich wouldn't need surface subdivision for a smooth effect.

RemiD(Posted May) [#4]

Apparently for pleasant effects the soil has to have a lot of triangles

this has been mentioned hundred of times on the forum...

To be precise, you don't really need to have many triangles but rather enough triangles each unit so that the vertices lighting/shading is progressive.
The best compromise that i have found is to subdivide (have triangles) each 0.5unit or each 0.25unit

Or you can use parts which are small enough to allow a progressive lighting/shading over its surface and build your scene with these parts.

This is why the lighting/shading looks good in this demo :
https://www.blitzbasic.com/Community/posts.php?topic=102874

Alternatively, you could use texels lighting/shading (light/shade the texels of a texture, but you have to unwrap/texelsfill/uvmap your triangles in a way that the texel size is uniform (approximately the same size and not stretched) (also called "lightmapping"))

or you could use pixels lighting/shading but then you would need a shader. (xors3d engine can do that, unity3d engine can do that, unreal engine can do that, nuclear glory engine can do that), but the default ones are rather ugly imo...

Yue(Posted May) [#5]

Undoubtedly the shaders are a blessing / curse, the previous scene is realized in Unity. And everything is so nice to do, I think it's time to understand and accept my limitations in front of the shaders.