dplayx.dll

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Programming/dplayx.dll

Yue(Posted 2016) [#1]
Hello, I commented , I'm doing some tests using version 1.106 , and the case is that Windows 10 have disabled caractaristica of DirectxPlay , but what I did was put the dll in the game folder and it seems to work well . Although this feature is not enabled on the Windows 10 , do the library where is the ejectuable not ask activate the component. This will be valid for all operating system?

RustyKristi(Posted 2016) [#2]
So there will no more warning/installation in Windows10 if you put the dll beside your game exe?

nice.

Yue(Posted 2016) [#3]
Do not display the warning and the executable is launched smoothly, it is really good for me, what is not if it only works on Windows 10 , it will be in the other versions of windows operating properly ?

Bobysait(Posted 2016) [#4]
Unless someone can post a review about this dll on windows xp/7/... what you can do is just a launcher
-> Detect the OS and rename the dll according to the result

Function FormatFileName$(n$)
 Return Replace (Replace (CurrentDir()+"\"+n,"/","\"),"\\","\")
End Function

Local DPlay_File$ = FormatFileName("dplayx.dll")
Local DPlay_File2$ = FormatFileName("dplayx.dll.back")
If FileType( DPlay_File)=1
 Select Lower(GetEnv("OS"))
  Case "windows_nt","windows_10"
   ; do nothing, it requires the dll so leave it as is.
   ; all OS that is not windows 10 (or windows "nt")
   RenameFile( DPlay_File, DPlay_File2)
 End Select
EndIf

;And eventually, call your exe from the launcher.
ExecFile(FormatFileName("MyExename.exe"))

So, if your not under windows 10, the dll will be renamed with an extension that will disable it.

ps : code fully untested and done on the fly, so, it may contains syntax error ...

RustyKristi(Posted 2016) [#5]
Nice routine there Bobysait. btw, I would like to note that there are 32 and 64bit versions of dplayx.dll.

There's also the option to use an installer like NSIS or package zip and detect and deploy the dll if it's win10.

xlsior(Posted 2016) [#6]
Nice routine there Bobysait. btw, I would like to note that there are 32 and 64bit versions of dplayx.dll.

since B3D itself is 32 bit, in all likelyhood it will need the 32-bit dll, even on 64-bit windows.

RustyKristi(Posted 2016) [#7]
ah ok forgot about that, thanks

Yue(Posted 2016) [#8]
@Bobysait Thanks You. :)

_PJ_(Posted 2016) [#9]
This is unnecessary.

Simply clicking the box shown in that first image will download and install the directX components required.

If you are redistributing a Blitz product, and wish to make the process easier for the end user, show them where to click this box. I am not sure that there are permissions from Microsoft to redistribute their library file separately.

RustyKristi(Posted 2016) [#10]
That's true and I would just use the latest official release instead. FMod licensing is another issue so I'll take the baked one. :)

Yue(Posted 2016) [#11]
I do this for compatibility with b3d and fastlibs.

Which seems better that you will not prompt the user to install the component, along with the library WinFix Mikhail [MixailV] Vostrikov, Fastlibs compatible version, it is as if the latest version.

In addition to the person I think that Microsfot does not care, it is a library that is no longer supported, and it will always remain in their operating systems.

Rick Nasher(Posted 2016) [#12]
very nice option nevertheless.