Port Forwarding with Blitz3D

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Programming/Port Forwarding with Blitz3D

RustyKristi(Posted 2016) [#1]
I'm really looking for a step-by-step guide on how to successfully port forward a network blitz3d game either with UDP/TCP or DirectPlay.

Does anyone have some general knowledge on how to do this?

Rick Nasher(Posted 2016) [#2]
Hmm, if you are going the the standard Blitz DirectPlay route, see this section from here: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/240429

To play DirectX games through a network firewall or proxy server, the following requirements must be met: •To guarantee DirectPlay compatibility, the latest version of DirectX should be installed on the computers that are used by all players who participate in the game.
•The following TCP and UDP ports must be open on the firewall or proxy server:
Using DirectX 7 or an earlier version

Connection

Ports for Client Configuration

Ports for Host Configuration

Initial TCP Connection 47624 Outbound 47624 Inbound
Subsequent TCP Inbound 2300-2400 2300-2400
Subsequent TCP Outbound 2300-2400 2300-2400
Subsequent UDP Inbound 2300-2400 2300-2400
Subsequent UDP Outbound 2300-2400 2300-2400

Using DirectX 8 or a later version

Connection

Ports for Client Configuration

Ports for Host Configuration

Initial UDP Connection 6073 Outbound 6073 Inbound
Subsequent UDP Inbound 2302-2400 2302-2400
Subsequent UDP Outbound 2302-2400 2302-2400

RifRaf(Posted 2016) [#3]
You may want to research NAT PUNCH THROUGH

RustyKristi(Posted 2016) [#4]
@RickNasher

Thanks. Surprisingly, those settings are automatically set by Windows/Dplay when I start a connection. It's still a typical nat problem for me and I'm wondering how others are doing it.

Of course, with tools like hamachi it can easily be done but those are limited to a certain number of users.

@RifRaf

I could not really find any info on how to setup properly. Other guides seem to confusing for me.

Is it possible to make it work without touching the router setting? I heard some software will do that for you.

RifRaf(Posted 2016) [#5]
http://www.mindcontrol.org/~hplus/nat-punch.html

RustyKristi(Posted 2016) [#6]
It's easy to post links, in fact that link was posted before on a related question I posted some time ago here.

I'm really looking for step by step tutorial. I'm not into finding how it works in detail, I just would like a solution as if I were a user/player finding for one.

The info that Rick posted is similar to what I was looking for but it is already taken care of by windows and still the problem persists.

jfk EO-11110(Posted 2016) [#7]
Thinking about it, I would not want a Software to "puch trough" any of my firewall installation, whether for my comfort or not.

Or do I miss the point. Port forwarding can be done in the router settings, no?

And after that I still wanted the firewall to ask for permission.

Probably a bit dated standards ^^

Rick Nasher(Posted 2016) [#8]
Port forwarding should indeed be happening in the router and that is just a little different for every brand.

Dunno if this is what you mean, but in general it's a matter of:
1. selecting the servicepage of your router, usually by entering it's address in a webbrowser for instance in Internet Explorer, something like: 192.168.0.1
2. It will show a popup to enter your login and pwd.
3. go to the service page NAT.
4. create the in/out ports you want to be forwarded.
5. save and reboot the router.

RustyKristi(Posted 2016) [#9]
Ok got that. I would not mind any step by step router setup, it's just that I can't get anything to work with my router

I would probably just get static ip if I can't find any.

jfk EO-11110(Posted 2016) [#10]
Did you login to the router setup page? At the web-url 192.168.0.1 or try other last number (2,3,4...255), these are the localhosts in your lan.
The router may have a reset button and a factory password printed on a bumpersticker, or in the manual.

Once logged in, there should be some sort of port forwarding option.

Rick Nasher(Posted 2016) [#11]
Or.. for more detailed info for your router specifically, check with your isp(if you've gotten your router through them).

If you manage to get in, post some screenies of the settings/menus. Perhaps we can point you in the right direction.

Also is it a wireless or wired router?

RustyKristi(Posted 2016) [#12]
Yeah my isp says I should get static ip. :/

@jfk

on newer modem/routers they are trying to remove portforwarding or simply not make it work. I had one router before with this feature and I got it to work but that was way way back.