Surfaces, Triangles and Textures

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Programming/Surfaces, Triangles and Textures

_PJ_(Posted 2016) [#1]
Aside from texture 'layer' indices, am I right in thinking that a SURFACE may only accept a single texture.
So any TRIANGLES made from triplets of VERTICES belonging to that SURFACE can only be associated with ONE Texturemap (per layer index) ? and this same texturemap will apply to ALL such TRIANGLES on anj individual SURFACE?

__

The reason I'm asking is because I'm hoping to implement a form of 'texture splatting' to "paint" a terrain mesh (An 'actual' mesh, not a BlitzTerrain) this would involve either painting individual triangles (which would be preferable, but seems impossible in B3D).

Floyd(Posted 2016) [#2]
Tattoo was released about twelve years ago, by Terabit. Profile: http://www.blitzbasic.com/Account/showuser.php?id=396

I'm amazed it is still available, and now free. http://www.terabit-software.co.uk/Tattoo.aspx

_PJ_(Posted 2016) [#3]
What I am hoping t achieve is a means to apply a texture to the mesh at runtime as part of an "Editor" tool program.

Incidentally, Tattoo always results in MAV on execution.

Floyd(Posted 2016) [#4]
I didn't try it, but I have now.

As suggested I ran the installer as Administrator. I also changed the install path to C:\tattoo ( avoiding the \Programs folder ). It seems to work. I loaded the example, a woman's head, and did some scribbling.

This is on 64-bit Windows 7. Anyway, the real point is that this is a Blitz3D program.

_PJ_(Posted 2016) [#5]
I ran (on Windows 10 64-bit) in compatibility mode for XP(SP3) and with Admin privilege, installed to C:\Tattoo\ as well as within ProgramFiles and ProgramFIles(x86)

Still just MAV :(

___

Whilst the presence of this software may elucidate the possibility of texture splatting, I'm not sure if it actually helps specifically with my actually accomplishing it, but thanks all the same!

Dan(Posted 2016) [#6]
win10 64 bit here, this program is running ok.
i have to say that my windows system has not the latest updates.

here is the listing of the tatto directory. check if every file is in its place.

try to lower the UAC level, if the error continues. here it is set on "notify me only when apps try to make changes to my computer (do not dim my desktop)"

_PJ_(Posted 2016) [#7]
Thanks for that, Dan.
Seems like all the files are there and correct.
The only thing I can think of is related to the presence of the Dialler.dll and my computer is blocking some suspect network activity???

__

Anyway, to b honest, whilst I appreciate your help, I'm still unsure of whether this program is actually going to be of use for my purposes as mentioned.
I need to do this programmatically within a tool I am creating, not just use a tool do so.

_PJ_(Posted 2016) [#8]
There's no PaintTriangle or TriangleTexture commands.

There's no way to identify if a particular surface has a texture applied to a given LAYER index.

A mesh CAN have multiple surfaces and each SURFACE may have a single texture PER LAYER INDEX

Therefore, it may be plausible to replace the ACTUAL terrain mesh triangles with identical pos/orientation/size triangles but these are attributed to a different SURFACE which is used to hold these duplicate triangles and be textured completely with the necessary texture.

The result would be a new mesh formed of n surfaces each formed of disparate triangles. n represents the number of textures altogether.
All triangles that need to be painted with texture 'n' are attached to surface #n

HOWEVER, there's then no means to REMOVE those duplicated triangles from the original geometry source mesh.
It IS possible to replace the vertexalpha thus hiding them, which can be better visibly.
Rebuilding the mesh each time WITHOUT those triangles in the base surface may be highly inefficent.

Once ALL triangles have been 'duplicated' (i.e. a texture has been applied to them all) then the original base mesh can be freed completely, and the textured mesh of n surfaces serves as the completed mesh.