Circular Minimap?

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Programming/Circular Minimap?

Guy Fawkes(Posted 2016) [#1]
Hi all. Does anyone have a 3D Minimap example that uses a render texture floating around here?

Thanks! :)

~GF

RustyKristi(Posted 2016) [#2]
I remember some demos here with minimap features. Try looking at the default samples or code arcs.

Guy Fawkes(Posted 2016) [#3]
I can't seem to find 1 of this stature that's not blitzmax...

~GF

Matty(Posted 2016) [#4]
Create a second camera. Place above the main camera in height. Look directly down. Render. Draw render to texture. Place texture on sprite. Show sprite in hud.

Thats a start.

RemiD(Posted 2016) [#5]
Some precisions to what Matty suggested :

-before rendering, set the cameraviewport to a reduced size which corresponds to the size of the minimap you want (in pixelswidth, pixelsheight)
-you don't need to copyrect to a texture (but you can), i would rather copyrect to an image (with the same pixelswidth, pixelsheight)
-then draw the image after renderworld (or have a textured sprite/quad positionned in front of the camera, as Matty suggested)
-it would be faster to render low details meshes for a minimap (rather than rendering the same scene (with high details meshes) twice...)
-for the circular shape of the minimap, you can probably draw a premade circular mask (image or texture) over the rendered image to make some pixels/texels black or alpha 0...

note that you can also copyrect the render of your scene to an image to be able to draw it later if you need to...