Example of Best Graphics with B3D?

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Programming/Example of Best Graphics with B3D?

Endive(Posted 2016) [#1]
What is the best graphics possible with B3d?

Is B3D largely outdated? Are we better off with a programmable pipeline engine on GL/Blitzmax?

What are the advantages of B3D if any? What niche was it intended for?

Bobysait(Posted 2016) [#2]
Whatever it's a basic syntax language (without OOP), Blitz3D on its own is not that outdated, but the 3D engine is.

With a decent Blitzmax OpenGL engine, you could get :
- per pixel lighting
- real post-process (and all the imaginable vertex/pixel shader stuff)
- translucent 2D support
So, yes, blitzmax is a good step.

Blitz3d still allows to create very fast prototypes and demos, with or without 3D.

RemiD(Posted 2016) [#3]

What is the best graphics possible with B3d?

Take a look at the gallery you will see. You can achieve nice renders. But some effects are missing like per pixel lighting, bump mapping...
The quality of the graphics are more a matter of how good you are at creating meshes/textures/animations, and setting the lighting.

What are the advantages of B3D if any?

The syntax is easy to understand and to use. The engine is compatible with most computers even the low end/old. (until now)

Guy Fawkes(Posted 2016) [#4]
Use Blitz3D Hardwired. It's DX11, and now has the capabilities of DX12.

Endive(Posted 2016) [#5]
Mm, if it's not OO I will just use max and OpenGL. Thanks gents.

Bobysait(Posted 2016) [#6]

The syntax is easy to understand and to use. The engine is compatible with most computers even the low end/old. (until now)

Dx7 has been deprecated since Windows 7, so ...
There are already some issues with recent windows releases (windows 8, not too much, with windows 10 it already is for most a pain in the ... to get it working in 3D), because DirectPlay isn't supported on Dx10/11/12 systems. And the SDK is so hard to find nowadays that it won't take many time until it's not at all supported any more. Probably a matter of one or two windows release until a Dx13 comes out and replace all the retro-compatibility stuff is definitely removed ... And at this moment, blitz3d won't be able to run a single window (2D or 3D).

And, there will maybe a time when 32 bit application won't be supported too. (On current windows they are only "emulated")

steve_ancell(Posted 2016) [#7]
If I remember there was this saying... "A tool is only as good as its master", or something like that anyway. :D

I suppose the best answer to the question in hand is to just try your best, if it's acceptable to you then that's what matters. ;)

RemiD(Posted 2016) [#8]
@Bobysait>>That's one way to see it, another way is that Blitz3d programs still works well without major problems (installing directplay is done almost automatically on windows 8.1 (a few clicks)) on most computers with Windows (not sure on Windows 10 but on Windows XP, Vista, 7, 8, 8.1, all my tests work well...).

But of course, a newcomer may prefer to learn to use a more future proof game engine, i understand that.

Probably a matter of one or two windows release until a Dx13 comes out and replace all the retro-compatibility stuff is definitely removed ... And at this moment, blitz3d won't be able to run a single window (2D or 3D).

Ok maybe in 10 years...
http://windows.microsoft.com/fr-fr/windows/lifecycle

Bobysait(Posted 2016) [#9]
It's not only to get Blitz3D running that you need to instal direct play
The machine that runs the end-program will have to get it too.

Having to install extra stuff to get something working is not reliable for commercial use (of course, for personnal use, it's not really a problem), you can't ask a user to download an old unsupported stuff to run a game or an app. And while blitz users are for most, aware of this, but end-gamers are just gamers ... most of them don't know how to instal external dlls, run as administrator or just set the compatibility of an application to windows Xp or else.

Rick Nasher(Posted 2016) [#10]
@RemiD: It's the same for DirectPlay on Win10. And hopefully people busy with creating upgraded versions can take out the obsolete stuff(mainly Ploppy).

RemiD(Posted 2016) [#11]
@Rick>>have you tested yourself to run a blitz3d program on Windows 10 ? Except the necessity to install directplay, everything seems to work well ?

We need more tests on Windows 10, Xylvan reported that it worked well, Yue seemed to have an issue in full screen mode but it seemed to work well in windowed mode, so all seems well for now...

Rick Nasher(Posted 2016) [#12]
Tested on 2 systems with Win10's(DX11.1 and DX12) and 1 system with Win8.1(DX11). What I've noticed is that if I set a screen resolution that is apparently no longer supported(probably a driver issue), such as Graphics3D 640,480,32,1 , then it's possible the entire screen goes black and freezes(had to reboot). Probably best to use the desktops native resolution.

RemiD(Posted 2016) [#13]

What I've noticed is that if I set a screen resolution that is apparently no longer supported(probably a driver issue), such as Graphics3D 640,480,32,1 , then it's possible the entire screen goes black and freezes(had to reboot).

What if you use another resolution but in windowed mode ? (for example 640,480,32,2 or one that i like 1000,625,32,2)

Thanks for the report,

Rick Nasher(Posted 2016) [#14]
Windowed mode doesn't pose any problems I believe, at least I didn't run into them yet. For instance 640,480,32,2 / 1000,625,32,2 seem to work all fine by me.

RemiD(Posted 2016) [#15]
@Rick>>Ok thanks.

Rick Nasher(Posted 2016) [#16]
Don't mention it. ;-)

Omnicode(Posted 2016) [#17]
Having been through the motions of Windows 8, 8.1 and now Windows 10 on my current machine. I haven't noticed any significant changes in performance nor behavior in any past/present projects while using native B3D. Potential discrepancies may develop for those using additional libraries. Most of my projects are small and probably under 10k lines, mainly using FastExtension or FastImage. (Using these Libraries GREATLY increases the visual capabilities of B3D)

Rick Nasher(Posted 2016) [#18]
FastExtension working fine for me so far.

Blitzplotter(Posted 2016) [#19]
I'd say the advantages of B3D is that it is a fantastic prototyping tool, I can't believe the projects I've managed to put together with it over the years.

From two cars racing up a 3D snakes and ladders, to an articulated truck that had a car that could drive into the trailer with, to a tcx file comparator (GPS files from a Garmin product).

I have achieved a helluva lot with B3D over the years, and there are examples of how to do just about anything you want to set your mind to within these forums.

Matty(Posted 2016) [#20]
The advantage I find with B3D is speed of putting together a prototype. I am not likely to produce a finished game with B3D at this stage in time but I am likely to use it to test simple features, effects and so on or to modify particular graphics files in the process of developing games and programs with other programming tools . why? because I can do in a page of code what would take a day's worth of coding in a modern tool just to test certain things out and play around with it.

Rroff(Posted 2016) [#21]
B3D is out-dated but largely supports enough features that the quality of your artwork and ability to innovate is more the limiting factor.

Yue(Posted 2016) [#22]
I tried Blitz3D in Windows 10 and works perfectly. The only drawback I had was a problem with the screen , but the problem seems to have been caused by migration from Windows 7 to Windows 10 , but since I have not had more the problem installing Windows 10 from scratch , ie formatendo pc have installed the Windows 10 redialing .

DirectPlay what I am is installed when you first run any executable Blitz3D or ide development .

Guy Fawkes(Posted 2016) [#23]
Ah... Windows :: Spy on EVERYthing. =D

_PJ_(Posted 2016) [#24]
Even if you manage to miss/avoid/cancel the request for DirectPlay compatibility in WIndows 6.3+ you can easily add it at any time through a number of different ways.
For me, the quickest:

1) WIN+R
2) OptionalFeatures.exe
3) Legacy Components - Check 'DirectPlay'