Unable to create 3d scene

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Programming/Unable to create 3d scene

JBR(Posted 2015) [#1]
Hi, just installed b3d in a windows 10 new build.

I remember something about redist?

Thanks, Jim.

Floyd(Posted 2015) [#2]
Are you using a resolution that is supported? What about windowed 3D? Does 2D work?

I vaguely recall something about installing DX9, to get proper DX7 support.

JBR(Posted 2015) [#3]
Hi,

Did the directx redist and no difference.

Gives error at Graphics3D. Windowed or Full Screen. Res 1024x768.

My program was really 2D and changing to just Graphics works ok, I think.

Jim

RemiD(Posted 2015) [#4]
You may want to take a look at these posts : (Blitz3d on windows 10)
http://www.blitzbasic.com/Community/posts.php?topic=104852

JBR(Posted 2015) [#5]
No joy. Does not like the graphics3d command.

stayne(Posted 2015) [#6]
I had that problem on a Win 8 laptop. Had to scour for video drivers as Windows' built-in ones were lacking. I finally found the right version and presto.

Rick Nasher(Posted 2015) [#7]
No errors here on latest Win10 build.

gpete(Posted 2015) [#8]
JBR...
So I have been coming back to B3d now I am retired.. The main differences I haved noticed in Windows 10 included the error you are seeing.
Opening up old files from.2003 up to Win 7 fairly recent code ......
1. You have to add 32 bit and the window type... Graphics3d 1024,768,32,2
--- the former implicit graphic mode allowed you to either enter 16 or 32 bit or actually leave the bit mode blank. Look at some of the help command reference examples for 2d blitz!!!!

2. There has been some stricter Win 10 controls on where your programs and graphic files and objects are located on the hard drives. This is not entirely understood by me yet :) as my directory organization is a hodgepodge of old and new.
I have realized that you need to explicitly declare the path in loading your graphic textures & pic and 3d objects. ( NOTE!!!! The "slash" in pathnames has changed from "/jpg/stone.jpg" for example to a mind numbing "C:\User\Documents\myname\textures/jpg/stone.jpg"
Under XP and Win 7 it seemed that Blitz was able to negotiate sub folders properly so you could use shorthand folder/file.type references.

New file structure uses this slash "\" instead of the older "/" slash.......

Even my oldest code will work now in Win 10 - Please reply if this helps you out.

RemiD(Posted 2015) [#9]

ou have to add 32 bit and the window type... Graphics3d 1024,768,32,2

@gpete>>good to know, thanks.

JBR(Posted 2015) [#10]
Still not liking the Graphics3d command. It's not a 3d project and runs perfectly with Graphics command.

I've got the newest driver for my GC.

I would like it to work ....

Jim

RemiD(Posted 2015) [#11]
JBR>>If you have some time, try to install blitz3d 1.64 + patch 1.106, it may be related to this :
http://www.blitzbasic.com/Community/posts.php?topic=101446
http://www.blitzbasic.com/Community/posts.php?topic=102094

Bobysait(Posted 2015) [#12]
- Have you tried to launch blitz3d in windows xp compatibility mode ?
- What is your graphic card ?
- Your desktop is in 16 or 32 bit colors ?
- did your PC supported blitz3d Graphics3D command in windows 7-8-xp ... ?

I'm not caustic but guys ... Would you mind giving some clues about your configuration when you encounter such problems ?

gpete(Posted 2015) [#13]
re: Bobysait
Win 10 64 bit
AMD FX-6300, 8gb, Nvidia GTX650-TI with 2gig
Blitz 1.108C installed in Programs(X86)
I do not run Blitz in XP compatibility mode. Yes all worked in Win 7....

desktop 32 bit colors. Is it possible for it to be configured 64 bit?
I have DX9 and DX10 on my computer- I suppose they both can exist.
I just made a 3d blitz-terrain from the latest Pluto surface closeup. My flyover Blitz 3D program looks awesome! thanks to Mark S. for this great programming tool!

Bobysait(Posted 2015) [#14]

desktop 32 bit colors. Is it possible for it to be configured 64 bit?

There is (well ... as far as I know) no 64 bit color mode. It's not the same as the 32/64 bits os. It's just the number of color your desktop can draw (32 bits = 4 channel from 0-255 = full color -> the eye can't already notice the difference between 254 and 255, so more color would be useless)

Dx9 is required for dx7 (dx10-dx11 doesn't support dx7 anymore cause of it's been considered deprecated, while dx9 still contains the backward compatibility with dx8 and dx7)

So, first, you can try to launch blitz3d with compatibility, I'm not sure it can solve anything, cause it's more blitz3d itself that would suffer from retro-compatibility, not really a compilation using graphics3d
Anyway : Right-click blitz3d icon -> properties - > Run as windows Xp
(and go for admin mode as you're here)

Graphics3D command can't run if your environment is unabled to create the dx7 context. So far, there is no evidence why it can't run on your PC since you've got dx9 installed ... except that windows 10 is so new that it's still not bug-free and retro-compatibility is not their problem anymore (they left updates for Xp, soon will come support for windows 7, dx7 is not distributed, the dx7 sdk is really a pain in the a... to find).
(that's the reason I still didn't updated my PC. I will, when they'll have published the "minimal-hotfixes-updates")

At the moment, my answer is :
Downgrade to windows 7 (Windows 8 at max) ^_^

ps : As long as microsoft will think it's up to the user to be beta testers for free, there will be this kind of issues.

JBR(Posted 2015) [#15]
My Setup

i7 6700K
GTX980 DX12
Windows 10

worked fine on my windows 8 laptop

I'll try what is suggested above and report back.