3D Character Modeling Software?

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Programming/3D Character Modeling Software?

TheGroominGuy(Posted 2015) [#1]
Hey guys. I need a software for creating 3D character modeling. I tried blender, but I got really confused and could not function it because my computer is slow.

Any suggestions for free character modeling software that doesn't take up too much space?

Also, please, please, PLEASE don't give links to open-sourced sites. Please link me to an official website from a verified publisher. My PC is currently in the "Potentially Unprotected" status in Microsoft Security Essentials, and I don't want to risk getting any viruses (although I'm sure I can trust you not to link me to viruses).

Thank you very much! -Gabe.

RemiD(Posted 2015) [#2]
I suggest Wings3d for modeling, unwelding, "texelsfilling", uvmapping (you can export in 3ds or obj)
I suggest Fragmotion for modeling, rigging, skinning, animating (not free but there is a trial version with which you can export in obj or b3d)

Matty(Posted 2015) [#3]
"My computer cannot support 3DSMax, as its too large of a file size for it." - i imagine it is a little out of the price range of 'free' as well as being 'too big'...

Anyway milkshape3d is great software for what you are after and last i looked is about 25 USD which should be in your budget if 3ds max was previously on the radar....

TheGroominGuy(Posted 2015) [#4]
I used a free version of it, not the full version, and my computer has only 16 gigs, and I am NOT wasting nearly all of it on a modeling software.

I'm using Maplet to make my maps. I'll give Wings3D a try, because it is the only actually free option that I was given.

Still, any other suggestions? I appreciate the suggestions, but I just need a free software that isn't too large.

Thank you.

RemiD(Posted 2015) [#5]
For fast modeling of buildings you can use Deled (free) or 3d world studio (affordable) (i think that here is also a tool similar to 3dws called "cartography shop" (free)).

Ian Thompson(Posted 2015) [#6]
+1 for Fragmotion too, by far the most powerful modeller for this kind of money.

Mikorians(Posted 2015) [#7]
I used Fragmotion for a while.
It's very similar to the really expensive 3Ds max

RemiD(Posted 2015) [#8]
imo the unwelding "texelsfilling" uvmapping in Fragmotion is not easy, try with Wings3d you will see how easy it is.

Rick Nasher(Posted 2015) [#9]
Would be nice if there was an easy to use intuitive all-round do it all fully fledged 3d tool that would export to every known file format. Apparently too much to ask.

Matty(Posted 2015) [#10]
@Rick - there are very good tools available theyre just often fairly expensive. For many years id mucked around with cheap game dev/hobbyist tools until about 2005 when i decided to splash out on a high quality piece of software (for the time) - as well as having amazingly detailed and thorough examples, tutorials, dvd lessons that came with it - it was the most intuitively obvious software id used for graphics - stable and came bundled with a mental ray renderer. The only problem with it was that a number of years later it was bought out by autodesk and left to rot.

Cellulo(Posted 2015) [#11]
Here a list of free programs that i have writed since 2012, i hope it's useful.

http://www.united3dartists.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=3687

TheGroominGuy(Posted 2015) [#12]
Thanks, Cellulo! I'll try the "easy" area for right now...