What am I doing wrong

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Programming/What am I doing wrong

Amanda Dearheart(Posted 2015) [#1]
Ok, fellow blitzers what am I doing wrong with this code?

Global cellB, cellR, cellY, blank  ; main graphic images
Global Screen_Width = 1024
Global Screen_Height = 768
Global Title                ; handle for title graphic

Global TmpDir$ = "C:\This PC\Documents\workspace\"

I have set up cellB, cellR, cellY, and Title as Global variables so that ALL functions can see them.

That way, when I get to the function LoadGraphics(), I can read the file life.jpg into the Title handle directly and retain the value like so

Function LoadGraphics()

Title = LoadImage(TmpDir$ + "media\life.jpg")

cellB = LoadImage(TmpDir$ + "media\cell black.jpg")
	cellR = LoadImage(TmpDir$ + "media\cell red.jpg")
	cellY = LoadImage(TmpDir$ + "media\cell yellow.jpg")
	blank = LoadImage(TmpDir$ + "media\blank.jpg")

Zero = LoadFont("Saved by Zero",18,False,True,False)
	SetFont Zero

End Function

However, when I get to the function DisplayTitle(), the line where it says DrawImage Title, CenterX, 0 it reports that the image does not exist. I made sure that TmpDir$ contains the proper Directory, and debug made sure that I use that!

Function DisplayTitle()

Iw = ImageWidth(Title)
	CenterX = Screen_Width/2 - Iw/2
	DrawImage Title, CenterX, 0

Cpy$(1) = "Adapted by Amanda Dearheart"
	Cpy$(2) = "Based on Life by John Conway"
	Cpy$(3) = "(C) 2013 Crazy Scorpion"
	For M = 1 to 3

Tw = Len(Cpy$(M))
		CenterX = Screen_Width/2 - Tw * 6
		y3 = 400 + (M * 25)
		Text CenterX, y3, Cpy$(M)
	Next
	Flip

d = TimerPause(5000, True)
	cls

Return d
End Function

GfK(Posted 2015) [#2]
Could be because you've got spaces in the pathname and filenames.

Floyd(Posted 2015) [#3]
Be sure you are loading images AFTER setting the graphics mode. Otherwise the previously loaded images are cleared as part of the graphics initialization.

Matty(Posted 2015) [#4]
I'm wondering.....what happens if you use relative paths....is it possible that the path you think exists is actually not the true path? (ie TmpDir)

also...do you get a non zero value for Iw?

The graphics mode thing that Floyd mentioned is another possibility.

Blitzplotter(Posted 2015) [#5]
the 'Documents' path name can be a bit tricky on Winsdows OS - it sometimes gets resolved 'strangely'. Try using pathnames like "./this_directory/that.txt"

Amanda Dearheart(Posted 2015) [#6]
Thanks for the hint Mr. 'plotter. I don't know if the 'Documents' name was the cause of my problem, but I did change TmpDir$ to the name of the external hard drive I just recently bought, and the program works like it did when i was developing it on my XP machine!

Blitzplotter(Posted 2015) [#7]
Glad to be of help Ms Dearheart - interesting you mention dev between your XP and your latest dev OS - the front end of my current project is developed on an XP machine - which certainly has different ways of resolving the 'My Documents' folder compared to Windows 7 B3D complier machine - that took some figuring out I can tell you ;)

Amanda Dearheart(Posted 2015) [#8]
Yeah, my current OS is Windows 8.1. Hopefully, the program files directory has remained unchanged since that is the final place I wish to install the program to when I'm finished.