Licence for free B3D ?

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Programming/Licence for free B3D ?

blicek(Posted 2015) [#1]
Hello

I would like to know exactly what it means, that source and the same compiler B3D is "freed". If I have understood that through this I became sole owner of Blitz3D and i can do with it what I want (to interfere with the source code and change what you can-logo name, etc.)?

There are no me licenses?

Blicek

MikeHart(Posted 2015) [#2]
It is released under the zlib/libpng License.

If I have understood that through this I became sole owner of Blitz3D and i can do with it what I want (to interfere with the source code and change what you can-logo name, etc.)?

Check out the license:

The zlib/libpng License

Copyright (c) 2013 Blitz Research Ltd
This software is provided 'as-is', without any express or implied warranty. In no event will the authors be held liable for any damages arising from the use of this software.

Permission is granted to anyone to use this software for any purpose, including commercial applications, and to alter it and redistribute it freely, subject to the following restrictions:

1. The origin of this software must not be misrepresented; you must not claim that you wrote the original software. If you use this software in a product, an acknowledgment in the product documentation would be appreciated but is not required.

2. Altered source versions must be plainly marked as such, and must not be misrepresented as being the original software.

3. This notice may not be removed or altered from any source distribution.

H&K(Posted 2015) [#3]
Do you remember a few years ago, someone had wrapped B3d and was selling it and there was a big stink about it. (I don't know to what extent he wrapped/changed it, I never saw it).

If he did that now, would it be ok as long as he "Credited Blitz Research"?

Yasha(Posted 2015) [#4]
If he did that now, would it be ok

Yes, and they wouldn't need to credit anyone because the zlib licence doesn't even require that much (seriously that text in the quote box is the whole thing; it's very permissive). As long as they didn't actually lie.