Blitz3D VS Other programs

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Programming/Blitz3D VS Other programs

Fernhout(Posted 2014) [#1]
By getting the problem that everybody is falling ovr me. Because the one his compilers is beter then the other one. I Post this becaus i was wandering on the internet and was roaming for a good BASIC COMPILER. When is was testing a lot of this type op programs is came always to a shortcoming that something was missing.

All the quallety that Blitz3D had i did never find it back in other programs.

e.g. Blitzmax has the shortcoming that when i want to work with images that are bigger then the used screen. The build up of a image of that kind of size, is not possible to grab or create. I am busy with a game that hase (Of cause its a space game Why not...) a hangar that is of that ship 5 section's long. One section is somewhere 2/3 of the screen. There is some other images around the hangar image. So when i want to scroll in the hangar, ist push on a arrow to start scrolling. This is in blitz3d easty to make. just grab a new part of the image and show it. N.B. The whole hanger is pre made by drawing differend parts of images in that one image. According to the use its draw in.

When i want to do the same by using blizmax. Its not possible to make so big images. and pre fille it with the data i needed. So i have to do this in 3 steps. First draw on the backbuffer the part of hangar for showing. Then the pieces that i need to show in the image. grab that part i needed. Clear the back buffer and draw the grabbed piese of image. (Its a long work to do this. Its also mess up the animation speed.)

Pure basic. Did say a lot but did not make it true. Working with graphics was a pain in the ass to get it on the screen. But on the other way its had a good way of working of with big graohics images. But loading big images to grab piecese from there this was working bad. To draw to something you must first init the screen. Then say you start drawing. Do the drawing and then say you stopped drawing. Then you can flip the buffer. To scan the keyboard you must first every time initkeyboard befor scanning the keyboard.
And when data is used you must use a binaire file to read the data in. In my program i have a data piece of say 300 names. then i must convert it to a binairy file to work with

On a lot of things its a good program but it has to much sidekick to work with.

FreeBasic is lacking the option to have a full screen mode.

Powerbasic can go full screen or under windows. But you can not switch in the program. Or you write it for windows or for DOS and that is it.

Ok Blitz3d IS not an easy way of switching between windows and fullscreen. But when you know it its no problem.

Is there a compiler who hase to same things that Blitz3D has.

The reason why i asking this is maybe the windows 10 is not cappable of running the programes written in Blitz3D.

Are there real program's that can do it.

skidracer(Posted 2014) [#2]
You should consider that your solution is the problem not the tool you are using.

Why can't you compose your display from big and small images, why would you have to "build any images" to use, especially at runtime?

angros47(Posted 2014) [#3]
FreeBasic is lacking the option to have a full screen mode.

In FreeBasic you can use full screen mode: just use the GFX_FULLSCREEN flag when you use ScreenRes:

http://www.freebasic.net/wiki/wikka.php?wakka=KeyPgScreenres

Also, you can switch between full screen and windowed mode in a running program by pressing alt+enter

Fernhout(Posted 2014) [#4]
In my game the hangar can have only one ship at the time but in the game there are more then 25 ships who can dock. Every ship has his own uniqe load, fuelling, Armer and wapons. These things are build in the hangar when a ship is entering the hangar. the time delay for building the complete hangar is no problem a text displaying "ship is entering the bay."

But when the ship is in the hangar i use viewport to keep the update part smal. so the animation in the hangar plays good. even on a slower machine. At the same time in the coding a lot of Types where made and trough the hangar pointed to the right types and area. Some sort of camara swinging in the hangar.

It is working all perfect here. But as soon as i give my exe to someone who hase windows 8.1 its not working. Of not all the graphics is showing. And a lot of times the game i givin a black screen. Witch wil terminate afther a whil. Not all the time say on 1 on a 100 wil have this.

My fear is that when windows 10 is comming this game is not working at all. Then i need a new basic compiler who does it. And for my sake one who is close to Blitz3D. The colsed one i found so far is PurBasic. But it hase the problem that all my code what is using data have to converting to native code. Why beats me. It look like for me that data is good enought.

The data that i use are is more for getting the graphics and a lot of text, witch can changed to 9 differend languages.

Up til know i did not found any that gives a good feeling.

I hope i explain this in a good way.

skidracer(Posted 2014) [#5]
So do you agree starting a thread titled "Blitz3D VS Other programs" is missing the point and the problem is yours?

It sounds like you have made some pointless optimisations that are based on belief and not actual testing.

I would consider removing all your over complicated code and draw the game as simply as you can, reading from the display is NEVER a good idea.

If not, then maybe turn the resolution down on your own desktop display so you can reproduce the issue in debug mode on your own setup.

Fernhout(Posted 2014) [#6]
i think you missing the point here. I am not starting this treath becaus of some belief. or some thing that are told.
I did testing everything before i give my conclusion. I try out for a couple of weeks to make some program to work with. And what coding consurn. Its made for fast playing. So some coding is ugly but the game speed is in. Therefore some animation must done in some smaler areas. And still its bigger then it must bee. but it work without any problem.

If i made a side scroller game then to i need along stip of a image that is scrolling over the screen.

My programming work is normally for PLC but here on the computer i like to do it in basic.

What you preposing is do not start programming then you do not getting bugs.
But ik think that you are missing that point to.
The program is as it is. running on a low resolution in full screenmode. And for debugging i go in windows mode. This is slower and that is not the problem or issue here.

The point is every program that i try to work with give me some limitation that blitz3D not have. there for i am looking for a solution so i can keep using blitz3d. or a program that do nearly the same thing.

The full screen mode in free basic did not worked with me. I try it in differenc mode stil got the window around it.

skidracer(Posted 2014) [#7]
Perhaps run your game at 30 hz on all machines.

If your simple draw hangar + draw ships code (which I hope is some kind of worst possibly scenario) for your game engine still has problems on low end then maybe consider pragmatic approach and drop the scene entirely and get on with the game.

Is hanger a single layer?

RemiD(Posted 2014) [#8]
Maybe this can help ?
http://www.blitzbasic.com/codearcs/codearcs.php?code=3076

Pakz(Posted 2014) [#9]
I thought that Blitz 3d worked on the Windows 10 beta. Was it not said so on the forum somewhere? I could be mistaken though.

Fernhout is working on a Deuteros remake :) I check his site everyday for updates on it.

Fernhout(Posted 2014) [#10]
I think that the discussion is going the wrong way. Blit3D is working perfect for me. The game that i am writting for this moment is working good. And i have no prolemes with the FPS or somthing else.

My question is actualy that when windows 10 is comming out the Home version is not able to play compiled programs from Blits3D. (THAT IS WHAT ME IS TOLD) i am not in the opportunity to install and run windows 10. So to be ahead of the problems i did try a couple of 3D basic programs. Every compiler (IDE) basic has its drawback. But all compilers that was tested has a drawback, and that Blits3D handles without any problem.

I did give in the beginnen the problems. And the drawback. Only one responce to a given drawback. Thats on freebasic for fullscreen. The rest has its problems. So my question is simple is there a program the can replace blitz3D as good as possible.

If the report is true that Blitz3D can work under windows 10. Then i keep the bliz3D. Its easy and give the most solutions.

skidracer(Posted 2014) [#11]
There may come a time when you will need to sign an executable with a trusted key before Microsoft and Apple will let you share binaries. I doubt that is the case and there will always be a box you tick for running code from untrusted sources.