read Pack file help!!!

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Programming/read Pack file help!!!

Caton(Posted 2014) [#1]
code example please...
of loadimage and sound and loadmodel from bank in pack data file...
in custom format.
pack.dat

videz(Posted 2014) [#2]
what pack library are you talking about? At least point some info or links of the issue you are referring to..

Matty(Posted 2014) [#3]
Well....there's a few ways you could do it.

Are you packing the file yourself in your own format and therefore should be able to simply reverse the process.... (there are a few little things though to remember when output to file for later reading....you will need some kind of marker or header to define each 'chunk' of bytes. If you are using a ready made implementation then simply look up the spec and follow that.

Useful blitz commands are readfile, writefile, readbytes, writebytes, and the bank manipulation commands.

Caton(Posted 2014) [#4]
GameData.dat=the names of the file
GamePack.dat=is all the files are packed
please download and look inside the files
https://www.dropbox.com/s/rh9bufwj8vor82t/GamePackData.zip?dl=1

Floyd(Posted 2014) [#5]
Files are packed into undocumented resources to prevent you from using them. Publishers don't want to give away their art and music.

videz(Posted 2014) [#6]
wow ok.. by stumbling on this thread I'm now having a little confident on using 3rd party blitz libraries to protect my assets :)

Caton(Posted 2014) [#7]
I packed them myself...

Floyd(Posted 2014) [#8]
Then why are you asking us how to unpack them?

Caton(Posted 2014) [#9]
nope I'm not
I just need my game to read the files from the packed files...

xlsior(Posted 2014) [#10]
nope I'm not
I just need my game to read the files from the packed files...

Depending on the type of data and what you expect to do with it, you may need to extract the files to disk first so you can use the built-in blitz image/music/whatever loading routines.

If you don't want to do that, you'd have to extract it to a memory bank or something and load/parse the information from there.

but really: since you created the pack, you're pretty much the only person who would know how to deal with the pack... if you can't, then you probably should re-evaluate how this pack stores stuff in the first place. :-?

videz(Posted 2014) [#11]
The pack looks like in xml form and one of the asset says it's from Star World or sth. Did you make this game?

I'm not accusing you or anything Caton, but having a look at your recent posts, it seems you are still up to something..

Real Blitz3d Decompiler?

You are stating that you made this pack content and you cannot access it yourself? Did you delete your original files or is your packing method hard to use?

..just wondering where all these will lead to based on your odd dev/content questions..

Caton(Posted 2014) [#12]
I want my game the read them from the packed files
and I have the resources
and right now the games reads the game from files from the folders...

steve_ancell(Posted 2014) [#13]
What software did you use to pack the files in the first place?.

Caton(Posted 2014) [#14]
made with blitz3d

steve_ancell(Posted 2014) [#15]
Can you explain that further?, is the packer your own Blitz3D code?, how are you packing it etc...

Caton(Posted 2014) [#16]
you can aslo pack it by editing file the pack files...

Zethrax(Posted 2014) [#17]
Caton is starting to remind me of the 'something_ebooks' bots that you see posting procedurally generated nonsense on Twitter.