chat tabs

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Programming/chat tabs

Giuliani(Posted 2014) [#1]
Hi Everybody,

I'm currently working on a multiplayer game and I wonder how to proceed to create a chat window with several tabs which could handle separate channels like World, guilde, system etc... Like in very common MMO.
I need some guidance because I don't know how to start and how to proceed to manage separate channels.
I want to make something very simple.
Thanks in advance for your help.

videz(Posted 2014) [#2]
I'm still new but I think you can use Devil GUI System tabs for that and all other gui needs. There are also other gui systems that you can find in toolbox section.

As for chat channel, you can place a hidden header code on each sent messages for each channel so you can filter them in your chat tabs. Or the easiest way is to use different port numbers for each channel.

Giuliani(Posted 2014) [#3]
Thanks Videz,

but this is not exactly what I thought about ^^
I already have a chat in my UI ingame, this is just a box with a bitmap for background.
I would like to add some tabs to this chat box.

Devil GUI system is a real window with tabs, I cannot use it for my project.

Thanks again

RemiD(Posted 2014) [#4]
You can code your own GUI system with several windows, several tabs, several elements, several layers...

Giuliani(Posted 2014) [#5]
Hi RemiD,

You mean with Devil GUI system?
For the moment, my Chat window is just a bitmap which displays the text.
Does Devil GUI allow me to use several tabs?

Thanks again

Guy Fawkes(Posted 2014) [#6]
Use WinBlitz3D 1.1. Outdated yes, but it's an actual, bare-bones windows GUI from within the API itself. I'll upload it to Mega.

Will change post in the next few minutes.

videz(Posted 2014) [#7]
No problem Giulani,

If you'll take a look at Devil GUI examples, you can create your own themes as they are only bitmap files to change it. Tabs already exist in Devil so you don't have to worry on that part ;)

Guy Fawkes(Posted 2014) [#8]
Wrong. DevilGUI doesn't allow for unlimited tabs in unlimited amounts of windows, soooo yea..

videz(Posted 2014) [#9]
Yes, I think for application GUI Winblitz3d would be great. But I think he is asking for In-game bitmap based GUI..

already have a chat in my UI ingame, this is just a box with a bitmap for background.

and I don't think you need unlimited tabs for your MMO in-game gui, right? ;-)

I'm just new at blitz stuff but I think I understand what he's asking

And here's a link to WinBlitz3D download when I did a search and if he still needs to try both..

Just helping out. peace

Guy Fawkes(Posted 2014) [#10]
Actually, I sometimes use 10 tabs full of gadgets, so yea. I need it.

Guy Fawkes(Posted 2014) [#11]
https://mega.co.nz/#!30ESmCDC!5kBUh7TQgyvH_bybAWE2gmXBNoAZSfS_sm1EKQo3uMY

DECLs go inside userlibs folder as usual. DLL stays in same directory program / BB file is.

Giuliani(Posted 2014) [#12]
Yes I need only 4 tabs.
And I use a bitmap in-game for my chat background.

I will try both of them, even if Devil GUI seems to be more adapted to my needs.

I thank you again

videz(Posted 2014) [#13]
@Giuliani
You're most welcome. Good luck with your MMO game. :)

Hey Guy,

Since we're on this subject here and I was trying it out for a small Windows app I'm doing. How do you create tabs in WinBlitz3D?

Thanks