No go with Blitz3D and Windows 7?

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Programming/No go with Blitz3D and Windows 7?

ErikT(Posted 2014) [#1]
I've been trying to run some old Blitz3D programs on my current machine but they all fail to do anything except show a black window for a split-second, then vanish. No error messages or anything. Is there anything I can do to make them run on Windows 7?

RemiD(Posted 2014) [#2]
All my programs work properly with windows xp, windows vista, windows 7, windows 8...

Post a code example which produces the error you are talking about so that we can take a look and give you some ideas of possible solutions.

GfK(Posted 2014) [#3]
You might find that all you need to do is recompile with the latest version of Blitz3D. IIRC, something called Data Execution Prevention (which appeared sometime in WinXP's lifecycle), stopped a lot of BB3D stuff from working.

ErikT(Posted 2014) [#4]
@RemiD:
It happens with all code, even simple B3D examples like counter.bb.

Re-installing the latest didn't work but I just tried on a different pc with Win7 installed and everything worked fine there. I'll check out that DEP thing and see if I can't disable it somehow..

Rick Nasher(Posted 2014) [#5]
DX installed? run DXdiag.exe from the search option in the startmenu.

RemiD(Posted 2014) [#6]
Have you tried to put the program in a different folder than "Program Files (x86)" ?
My Blitz3d is in a custom folder "Progs".
Also maybe try to run Blitz3d as an administrator.
Also if you have an antimalwares app running, it may autoclose an unknown executable.

ErikT(Posted 2014) [#7]
@Rick Nasher:
I'm on DirectX 11 according to DXdiag.exe.

@RemiD:
Yep, B3D is in it's own Progs folder. Even got it on a different partition.

I've tried disabling DEP with no result. DirectX is up to date, B3D is up to date. Also tried disabling firewalls and making sure no anti-malware programs are lurking in the background. Same thing every time. Wow...

If only there was some kind of error message. Eh, whatever. I think I'll give it up for now. Thanks for the suggestions tho :)

RemiD(Posted 2014) [#8]
Have you tried to run only a simple code :
Graphics3D(640,480,32,2)
SetBuffer(BackBuffer())

SeedRnd(MilliSecs())

Camera = CreateCamera()
CameraRange(Camera,0.1,100)
CameraClsColor(Camera,000,000,000)

DLight = CreateLight(1)
LightColor(DLight,250,250,250)
PositionEntity(DLight,0,1000,-1000)
RotateEntity(DLight,45,0,0)

AmbientLight(050,050,050)

CubeMesh = CreateCube()
ScaleMesh(CubeMesh,1.0/2,1.0/2,1.0/2)
EntityColor(CubeMesh,Rand(025,255),Rand(025,255),Rand(025,255))

PositionEntity(Camera,0,1.7,-5)

While(KeyDown(1)<>1)

TurnEntity(CubeMesh,0,1,0)

If(KeyDown(2)=1)
  Wireframe(True)
 ElseIf(KeyDown(2)=0)
  Wireframe(False)
 EndIf

RenderWorld()

Text(0,0,"Triangles = "+TrisRendered())

Flip(1)

Wend

End()

ErikT(Posted 2014) [#9]
It's the same with that example unfortunately :/ So I take it this isn't a very common problem? Maybe it's something to do with localization on my Win7 version? The laptop was bought in HK so maybe the internal language naming-conventions confuses B3D or something? I have no idea if that kind of thing could make a difference.

GfK(Posted 2014) [#10]
It may be a DirectX thing, though, I thought DX11 had some sort of emulation for DX7 out-of-the-box.

Right-click your EXE, Properties, Compatibility, and set it to run in compatibility mode for XP SP3. See if that helps.

RemiD(Posted 2014) [#11]
What have you installed exactly ?
Blitz3D Version 1.108 ?

When i say that Blitz3d is working well on my computers i am talking about this :
Blitz3D Version 1.64
+
Blitz3D Update V1.107

RemiD(Posted 2014) [#12]
Try to install directx 9.0c.
If it does not work, try to install directx 8.2.
If it does not work, try to install directx 7.1.
Some files may be missing on your computer...

Also try to install the latest drivers of your graphics card.

BlitzSupport(Posted 2014) [#13]
Try adding Print commands after each line in a small example to see how far it gets.

I've never had any trouble running Blitz3D stuff on any version of Windows since it came out, and use it occasionally on Win7 64-bit here.

ErikT(Posted 2014) [#14]
Ah. I get an error message "Illegal memory access" on version 1.64 for array.bb and counter.bb. So that's something. Version 1.85 and above just gives me the split-second black window though.

I added print before each line in RemiD's example code as well as array.bb in the "tutorials" folder but no, nothing at all. It doesn't seem to get to the first line even.

I'll have a go at downgrading DirectX as soon as I figure out how and try again.

RustyKristi(Posted 2014) [#15]
Stock v1.106 works really well out of the box. I'm using Windows 7 64 bit