how do I make a cutscene in a platform game

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Programming/how do I make a cutscene in a platform game

Caton(Posted 2014) [#1]
Okay, I made a 2D Platform game in blitz. how do I make cut scenes in a Platform game?

Matty(Posted 2014) [#2]
Lots of different ways....

Do you want to play a pre recorded movie like an AVI?

Do you want to script the actions of the entities in the game (you'll have to design that all yourself)?

That is a rather broad question.

Caton(Posted 2014) [#3]
like a Cut scene programmed in game where the Characters talk and Other scenes

Matty : Do you want to script the actions of the entities in the game (you'll have to design that all yourself)?

Yeah kind of like that.

Matty(Posted 2014) [#4]
How much of your 2d platform game have you already written?

Caton(Posted 2014) [#5]
Just a player that can move with the arrow keys and jump and walls and backgrounds,music,sounds,voices. now, how could I make Cut scenes In It?

xlsior(Posted 2014) [#6]
Just a player that can move with the arrow keys and jump and walls and backgrounds,music,sounds,voices. now, how could I make Cut scenes In It?

Basically, you'll have tell it exactly what you want to do -- when cutscene starts, stop listening to player controls, and tell it what you want: character x start moving to location y at speed z, repeat until you are at destination, say "blah", wait 3 seconds, character b says "oh really?", wait 4 seconds, character walks to location w at speed whatever, etc.

It's a bit tedious perhaps, but other than simply playing back an external video you created, it's what you'll have to do...

Caton(Posted 2014) [#7]
like when the player walks then a cut scene starts and they start talking and after that a battle starts.

stayne(Posted 2014) [#8]

TomFeatherhill(Posted 2014) [#9]
Mid, what do you mean 'they start talking'?

Do you mean it like this;

Or actual speech?

I don't really understand what you really meant so, just some clarification and I might be able to help you.

Caton(Posted 2014) [#10]

Caton(Posted 2014) [#11]
like when dimmon is talking and then a battle starts.
kind of what cutscene I would like to code in blitz but what code will it do?

xlsior(Posted 2014) [#12]
This 'problem' is WAY generic to be able to give a reasonable answer to.

step 1) First write down EXACTLY what you want to happen in the cutscene (what sprite moves where, how long to wait, what moves next, etc.)
step 2) Use the drawing commands/waits/whatever to make this steps happen, one step at a time. Repeat until all the steps of your cutscene have completed, and resume the normal game.

We can't just "give you code" because how to exactly do this greatly depends on the rest of your game, plus you're the only person who knows what you want to happen in your cutscene in the first place.

This question of yours is exactly the same as asking "How do I write a game? What code will do it?"

How long is a piece of string? There is no sensible answer that anyone will be able to give you beyond what has already been said in this thread.

Caton(Posted 2014) [#13]
Thanks.

Caton(Posted 2014) [#14]
some help on this topic.
http://www.blitzbasic.com/Community/posts.php?topic=103462#1246016

_33(Posted 2014) [#15]
You should ask all your questions @ Blitz3D Beginners Area