I have a problem.......

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Programming/I have a problem.......

Learning5614(Posted 2014) [#1]
I was typing in the code on Page 42 of the Blitz3D programming Manual,
On Bouncing Balls, thus;

; Bouncing Balls

Const Ball_Count = 100

Const Key_Escape = 1

Const Width = 640
Const Height = 480

Type Ball
	Field 	X,Y
	Field 	XSpeed, YSpeed
End Type

Function CreateBall()
	b.Ball = NewBall
	b\X = Rnd (Width)
	b\Y = Rnd (Height)
	b\XSpeed = Rnd (-3,3)
	b\YSpeed = Rnd (-3,3)
End Function

Function UpdateBall(b.Ball)
	If b\X < 0 b\XSpeed =- b\XSpeed
		If b\Y < 0 b\YSpeed =- b\YSpeed
			If b\X > Width b\XSpeed =- b\XSpeed
				If b\Y > Height b\YSpeed =- b\YSpeed
					b\X = b\X+b\XSpeed
					b\Y = b\Y+b\YSpeed
					Oval b\X,b\Y,10,10
End Function

Graphics Width,Height
SetBuffer BackBuffer()

For i = 1 To Ball_Count
	CreateBall
Next

While Not KeyHit(Key_Escape)
	Cls
	For b.Ball = Each Ball
		UpdateBall b
	Next	
	Flip

Wend	

End

When I ran this code, the compiler gave me a error saying
'Illegal Type Conversion' Please tell me what have I done wrong?

RGR(Posted 2014) [#2]
You forgot a Blank in Row 15

b.Ball = NewBall is wrong
b.Ball = New Ball is right

GfK(Posted 2014) [#3]

RGR(Posted 2014) [#4]
What are you talking GfK?

Nothing to do with the above error

Nothing to do? Oh man ...
Its a Typeconversion error and that's why it does not run - the ONLY reason why it did not!
Insert the blank and it works

but you've also missed out all of the EndIf's in UpdateBall() (which will be your next problem).

Next wrong statement ...
There are NO endif needed because the If in one line is complete without Endif

What's wrong here? Do you test when you "Help" someone? Unbelievable to see such a rubbish

Yasha(Posted 2014) [#5]
Calm down RGR... (that's "has nothing to do with", not "don't need to do anything")

You're both wrong about the Ifs, although GfK's post is still good advice.

EDIT: following doesn't apply after all

Blitz3D allows block close tokens (EndIf, Wend, Next, etc.) to be omitted if nothing else follows the block before the end of the function. The If structures are not single-line, they are blocks, but the EndIf is optional because End Function is "senior" to it and forces the block closed anyway.

I don't know whether this feature is intentional or just a parser bug that never got fixed, but that part of the code is a valid If structure, and it is a block, not inline.

However, I second GfK's advice that this really ought to be "corrected" anyway. (Not everything in the manuals is good style, even if it works; e.g. I think some of the examples still use Gosub, which is never a good idea)

RGR(Posted 2014) [#6]
Yasha (btw. I calm down when I want ... not when YOU think its time)

You're both wrong about the Ifs

And you are right? what a laugh!
Add the endif's and see what you get as a result ...

The thing started so easy ... he forgot a blank ... nothing more

And what is this now? A mess ... people who think they are *right* but aren't ... statements which confuse the newbies ...
This forum gets crazier every day ...

I think some of the examples still use Gosub

Yes for a good reason ... because it s in many cases faster than to use Functions!
Not everyone needs a Nanny to tell him what to do ... especially if the advice is not good!

Yasha(Posted 2014) [#7]
OK, on closer inspection you're right: the If lines are complete inline statements that omit the Then. I guess the indentation is an IDE artifact or something. My comment above doesn't apply.

However, this really, really shows that GfK's suggestion (s/EndIf/Then/g, anyway) is good advice.

RGR(Posted 2014) [#8]
OK, on closer inspection you're right: the If lines are complete inline statements that omit the Then. I guess the indentation is an IDE artifact or something. My comment above doesn't apply.

However, this really, really shows that GfK's suggestion (s/EndIf/Then/g, anyway) is good advice.

Yasha - for my Blitz3D-programs I use a patched PureBasic-IDE with indentation, folding, autocomplete etc.
I always use endif (but not Then this is not needed at all) because its useful for folding and indentation. And I write each statement in one line to have a better view.

But that was not the question of the author of this thread

The question above was "I have a problem ..." and I found it within 10 seconds ... a missing blank after ... = New ...

Its not good if then someone tells rubbish and I have to defend myself ... GfK is wrong in both cases.
He cannot take a quick look over the code without testing and blubber rubbish ...

We should at least sometimes be a bit serious here...
The thread was solved and finished after my first post ... the rest is timewasting and blah blah blah

GfK(Posted 2014) [#9]

RGR(Posted 2014) [#10]
GFK wrote: RGR who or what do you think you are ... jackass

Then think before you write ... because that made you the jackass
Don't *correct* people's statements if you are wrong

GfK(Posted 2014) [#11]

RGR(Posted 2014) [#12]
If you want we can continue somewhere else in German ... hope your grammar is as good then

Added:
Ha ha ha ... you deleted your dumb statement that I may have some grammar mistakes in my posts.
What a hero ... noticed that I may write better English (not my native language) than you German?

GfK(Posted 2014) [#13]
I give up. No point arguing with idiots.

RGR(Posted 2014) [#14]
I give up. No point arguing with idiots.

After a long evening the first time you are right!

Matty(Posted 2014) [#15]
I think the indentation is a bit funny with your if statements...makes it hard to read.

nyybaseball(Posted 2014) [#16]
You have b.Ball=NewBall, where it should be b.Ball= New Ball.

RGR(Posted 2014) [#17]
You have b.Ball=NewBall, where it should be b.Ball= New Ball.

Daniel Mellas

Did you read post #2?

H&K(Posted 2014) [#18]
I don't like these nested if without the extra grammar.

Reason.

If we take the first one
"If b\X < 0 b\XSpeed =- b\XSpeed"
On looking at is slowly I can see that it is,

"If A Then B"

However when I glanced through the code to try and find the error, which gets more likely as the code gets longer I read,

"If A and B Then"

Which is not that bad a misread, however I knew for some reason I had read it wrong, (because if (b\XSpeed) =- (b\XSpeed) whilst being possible is stupid. Then I made a big mistake, and changed it in my head without rereading it, to,

If A Then B Endif

OK it wasn't a long time I was confused for, and the error wasn't there any way. The point I'm tying to make is that when you write your code it might seem like poetry, but when someone else reads it, it needs to be like a prenuptial. You need to have made damn sure that what its meant to say it the ONLY way it can be read.

PS You need better thread titles, which are in some way indicative of the problem. EG "Problem, Bouncing Balls Manuel Page 42" or "Can I Store Media with EXE?"

RGR(Posted 2014) [#19]

H&K(Posted 2014) [#20]
If b\x < 0
b\XSpeed = -b\XSpeed
EndIf

IS

If A Then B

Edit
Which I think makes my point quite well

Guy Fawkes(Posted 2014) [#21]
RGR, BUG OFF! Now it's not just I that has a problem with you, moron! LEAVE this poor man's thread alone and go whine and complain somewhere else!

RGR(Posted 2014) [#22]
@ H&K
The problem which Learning5614 had is solved since post #2

Of cause we can add the same solution every day here and add big advice about programming style and it can be done by 50 people and more. But there will be no better solution for the initially problem.

And if Learning5614 really needs great advice about how he has to program is not sure. He didn't say ... so whatever followed is nice but does only waste programmers time who expect to get to know something really important in this thread.
Unfortunately there is no important additional information in this whole thread besides the note in post #2 that Learning5614 forgot a blank when he typed in the program from that manual.

The author of that manual on the other hand was for sure no newbie - so why must everybody use this thread to try to correct his programming style? Or convince others unasked to use their programming style?

Guy Fawkes(Posted 2014) [#23]
Der. Lemme think about that for a second... O wait... I know.. TO LEARN! >< You're a selfish no-good git, and I & ALOT of people on here apparently are getting SO sick of your stuck-up crap! You do NOTHING but troll the needy, and I won't sit there and let you do it ANYMORE! GO AWAY!

H&K(Posted 2014) [#24]
AS I pointed out, I have no problem with it as a programming style UNLESS it needs to be error checked. At the point you ask someone else to help the code needs to be clear, concise and unambiguous, to the error checker, who, when I replied was me.
I didn't bother pointing out what was wrong with the code, because despite reasons to assume otherwise, I assumed you where right.

(Actuality that's a lie, I did check you were right)