RPG Battle Game?

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Programming/RPG Battle Game?

Caton(Posted 2014) [#1]
how do you make a Rpg battle game in blitz?

Caton(Posted 2014) [#2]
Please tell how I can in blitz code.

RemiD(Posted 2014) [#3]
I would start by writing a description of the controls, possible actions, artificial intelligence, environment, entities, with words and sentences.
I would try to keep it simple at the beginning.

Then i would try to convert these ideas into code and improve it until it works as i want.

Once i have a good enough gameplay, i would improve the meshes, the textures, the animations, the HUD, the sounds.
Always the same process to make any app/game...

You can search the forums and the code archives if you need code examples and ideas on how to implement a functionality.

Good luck!

Caton(Posted 2014) [#4]
Thanks

Caton(Posted 2014) [#5]
but umm... how would I make a mario rpg battle in blitz?

xlsior(Posted 2014) [#6]
but umm... how would I make a mario rpg battle in blitz?

Same as above, except you'd need to get permission from Nintendo to use Mario or they'll slap you with a court order to stop using their intellectual property as soon as they get wind of it.

GfK(Posted 2014) [#7]
If you need to ask, you'll never do it.

Do something smaller, like Pong. Learn some skills.

Caton(Posted 2014) [#8]
What I mean is like a rpg what code would do it???

Guy Fawkes(Posted 2014) [#9]
Instead of being a smart-mouthed know-it-all, why don't you actually try & help? Or did your parents never teach you manners when you were a kid? Oh, and don't answer that, because I won't be answering you back no matter what you say.

Caton(Posted 2014) [#10]
I was trying but It never worked.

Caton(Posted 2014) [#11]
at lease a scene to battle scene. code.

Guy Fawkes(Posted 2014) [#12]
I wasn't talking about you, PowerStar. I was talking about GFK. This guy has ALWAYS gave me problems, so just ignore his crap, and you'll be fine.

Caton(Posted 2014) [#13]
oh okay.

GfK(Posted 2014) [#14]
@PowerStar - I'm simply urging to you to keep your ambitions realistic. Whether you listen to me, or to anybody else, is your own call to make.

Not really sure what Guy Fawkes' problem is. I've lost count of the times he claims to be ignoring me, yet here he is again, sticking his oar into matters which don't concern him. I'll leave you to make up your own mind.

Matty(Posted 2014) [#15]
Hi PowerStar - it is not as simple as saying "what is the code to do an rpg battle game".

You have to design everything, absolutely everything from how buttons respond when clicking to data structures for each element in the game to logic for the menus, logic for the loading routines...absolutely everything.

GfK was being helpful - try a simpler game first as I imagine you don't have a lot experience with writing games or maybe even programming so begin at the beginning and try and do something simple. I'd even suggest a simple text adventure if rpgs are your desire.

There's quite a bit to doing a game, or any program for that matter with a bit of depth to it.

Guy Fawkes(Posted 2014) [#16]
@PowerStar - I'm simply urging to you to keep your ambitions realistic. Whether you listen to me, or to anybody else, is your own call to make.

Not really sure what Guy Fawkes' problem is. I've lost count of the times he claims to be ignoring me, yet here he is again, sticking his oar into matters which don't concern him. I'll leave you to make up your own mind.

Continue to play stupid all you want. See how he treats me, PowerStar? -.-

Caton(Posted 2014) [#17]
oh

Leon Drake(Posted 2014) [#18]
Don't say never....

that's like saying an uneducated baby will never learn to program. but here we all are. it's just a matter of educating yourself on coding and building your way up.

As for building an rpg battle game you might want to look into how code turn based games.

it really help to have a plan and a product requirements document, what UI are you going to use? code your own? buy one? find a freebie.

The media you are going to use, your own, premade you purchase? etc etc.

A lot of this stuff should be ironed out before you start so you have a clear path on what you are making. After that you'll need to learn the language you are coding in proficient enough to create the tasks and functions, tie int he media you've created and the user interface all together to make a game.

Guy Fawkes(Posted 2014) [#19]
The same load of bull I got when I first started out. You need to pull apart his post and take only the parts of it that DON'T criticize you for being a n00b. Everyone starts out a n00b, and forums are for help. They should NOT be for hell.

RemiD(Posted 2014) [#20]
I always suggest to start by writing a clear description of the functionalities/controls/gameplay/possible actions/components with words because if you don't know what you want to make, how can you code it ?
Also if you are a newbie, you have a vague idea of how things work, what it is possible to do or not, so imo it is better to write what you want to make with words, and then, bit by bit, convert your words in code templates.
Then, progressively, merge all these code templates in one code and you will have an app/game !

gpete(Posted 2016) [#21]
isn't GFK and Guy Fawkes the same person? ;)

Guy Fawkes(Posted 2016) [#22]
Um, number 1. No. Number 2, I have officially put your sorry arse on ignore.

Good day.

~GF