Extremely high triangle / poly count?

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Programming/Extremely high triangle / poly count?

Guy Fawkes(Posted 2014) [#1]
Hi all. I found a SWEET code in the code archives, courtesy of Rob Cummings that allows for an extreme amount of triangles / polys in a small area at once.

Is there a way to improve this code say allowing 1 - 33 million triangles that are relatively close by?

Here's the code (credit Rob Cummings):

World_Management.bb:

EDIT: I only edited the "pos" variable, changed flip to flip 0 added a delay 1 after that and a vwait 1 before that, & nothing else.

Thank You so kindly!

Sincerely,

~GF

RemiD(Posted 2014) [#2]
1 millions triangles is a lot of triangles !

What you have to understand is that a surface can only contain a limited number of vertices and triangles.
Because this limit depends on the hardware of the graphics card, to be safe i put no more than 32000 vertices or 32000 triangles in a surface.

So to hold 1000000 triangles you will need around 32 surfaces

But this is not smart to use only one mesh to hold all surfaces of a level because when a mesh (its bounding box) is not visible, it is automatically hidden and not rendered.

So i suggest to think about how you can split your level into separate meshes depending on their position and the space they occupy and for each mesh have the lowest number of surfaces possible by merging many separate surfaces in one surface.

Guy Fawkes(Posted 2014) [#3]
Ok, well is there any way to improve this code to say 250,000 triangles or so? Something that can be used for alot of high poly models?

RemiD(Posted 2014) [#4]
A little test :

I am surprised how copyentity can decrease rendertime compared to separate meshes, but limiting the number of meshes and of of surfaces is still the best approach.

Guy Fawkes(Posted 2014) [#5]
NICE! :O AWESOME code, Remi! :D

RemiD(Posted 2014) [#6]
I had a MAV at renderworld on one of my computer, i modified the code so that there are no more than 32000 triangles and no more than 32000 vertices per surface, now it works well.