Land and various textures

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Programming/Land and various textures

Yue(Posted 2014) [#1]
Anyone know of any examples of how to create a field with varis textures, for example boiling, stones, mud, roads etc..

A greeting.

Rick Nasher(Posted 2014) [#2]
Did you mean: Terrain with multiple different textures?

Then check this one for examples on "Texture Splatting": here(link)

Also see my earlier post: here(link)
Especially the "Insaner" demo should be usefull (look in your Blitz directory at: "samples/mak/insaner"

And of course: here(link)

Kryzon(Posted 2014) [#3]
If you don't need each texture to blend with each other, you can simply apply different textures to different polygons in your modeller application.
When you export your mesh to the Blitz3D format, the exporter plugin should break the model into one surface per texture.

An example of how this may look can be seen in N64 games:

The parts with transitions are just textures of the same size that are stretched - making them lose sharpness in relation to the other texures.
A way to address this is to use another texture layer that is tiled and 'multiplied' on top of this stretched texture, or just use a bigger texture for this.

They also make extensive use of vertex colouring to add variation and convey lighting, though if you can combine this with the use of lightmaps (with Gile[s], for example), the result is much better.

Yue(Posted 2014) [#4]
Hello, much appreciate the intention of trying to help me, I always have something new to learn, but there is a simple example?, that for me I do not speak English very easier to understand, excellent capture Kryzon, something I understand in order to make .

A greeting.

Yue(Posted 2014) [#5]
ok, Here? :D

http://www.blitzforum.de/forum/viewtopic.php?t=33293

Rick Nasher(Posted 2014) [#6]
[EDIT: wrong link, added bits of code]
Ah, Krishan's Mesh Terrain. He has the same thing right here actually:
http://www.blitzbasic.com/codearcs/codearcs.php?code=2620

It's very nice, but depends on what you want to use: standard Blitz Terrains or Mesh Terrains.

Blitz terrains: easier to manage(build in LOD etc), but also some restrictions.
Mesh terrains: more flexible, but harder to manage(you have to write your own code or perhaps use Krishan's above code(or better use his BlitzTiles, see here: http://www.blitzbasic.com/Community/posts.php?topic=84809#1130807

I personally use Blitz Terrains cos it's easy to use and let's me deform the terrain for craters when I throw grenades. :-)

I used a modeler to create the terrain and paint different textures on the terrain(roads, rock, grass, sand etc). Then save it as one huge texture and export the heightmap.
Then in Blitz it loads the Terrain Heightmap, Terrain Texture and a 2nd texture for detail in close up.
Last it also loads one for lights, shadows and burnmarks.

You can add another texture layer too, but I didn't see the need for that.

For example:

I used the Insaner Demo as a template for this.