Fix for Windows 8 fullscreen slowdown problem...

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Programming/Fix for Windows 8 fullscreen slowdown problem...

marksibly(Posted 2013) [#1]
Hi,

I've just uploaded Blitz3d Update V1.107 which includes a fix for the Windows 8 fullscreen slowdown problem.

Many thanks to user jackfuste for the fix. No idea how it actually works, but it appears to work very well - Blitz3D now flies on my Iconia W510!

hunulullu(Posted 2013) [#2]
nice

Panno(Posted 2013) [#3]
great ! thx

Yue(Posted 2013) [#4]
:D Nice!! Thanks You!

RifRaf(Posted 2013) [#5]
!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CWXoOEsHguk

Yue(Posted 2013) [#6]
@RifRaf

Ha ha ha !!

Rick Nasher(Posted 2013) [#7]
Now if only B3D was free...(alright I'll stop begging)

;-)

RemiD(Posted 2013) [#8]
Thanks for the fix.

Now if only B3D was free...

Or maybe they can raise the price a bit since it works properly with Windows 8 ;)

Rick Nasher(Posted 2013) [#9]
Well, if it would come with build-in DX11/OpenGL I'm quite certain they could still tripple (or quadruple) the Price(I would buy it), but hey people have been beating their head up that wall for too long I guess, so no point pointing out that Blit3D's popularity came from the being an AIO package whith shear simplicity to use.

Nice to have Max's superior features, but for most people not a must, having a 3D engine build-in IS. Unless Max's purpose was to be a successor to Blitz+.

I never understand how one can forget the "never change a winning team" rule or the formula that made a band score it's biggest hits(and split up).

Ah well.. Perhaps Mark will treat us again one day and change the world once more, like the Raspberry Pi guys and android dudes do(hint hint hint)
;-) (ok, now I'll shut up)

Yue(Posted 2013) [#10]
I would be in the mind frame and try to find out where it's headed the future of his creation, a renewal? or Armageddon?

RemiD(Posted 2013) [#11]
Rick>>I agree, i was just teasing a bit.

Rick Nasher(Posted 2013) [#12]
@RemiD:

I know, hehehe. Just trying to poke up the fire so maybe our all Guru and beloved genius Mark will change his mind just to please his fan-base
(and make lots more Money in the process.

Mark, if your listening.. ;-)

But most likely he's way too busy with the Monkey business, which seems to be going into the right direction(last time I checked I noticed some porting of MiniB3D, that would be nice to be using on my Galaxy S3), so perhaps they can still beat Basic4Android, to which I have purchased a license and works quite well, only the OpenGL bit is not all that(yet).

I once purchased BlitzBasic for the Amiga and would have loved to purchase Blitz3D too, if it now had an uptodate GFX engine. Cos I want to make a sandbox like game with a large destructable (blitz)terrain with water, shadows and day/night cycle, which I managed to do somewhat using the trial combining bits & pieces of code from all around and some things I've figured out myself.

But limited multitextering and transparency z-order headaches(which I fixed, but at a massive slowdown, leaving little time for character animation) turned me off.

If I would have managed to get this working OK I would have purchased Blitz3D, and I probably still will, just for the good cause and to support Mark & co, once my bank account allows me again(probably new year, eurocrises & stuff).

Rick Nasher(Posted 2013) [#13]
Ow this is soooo, off Topic. Sorry bout that.

Rroff(Posted 2013) [#14]
The multi-texture and z-order problems are fixable - takes a few tricks like using multiple camera passes but its possible even without significant performance decreases.

The biggest issue I've had really is with regard to real time shadowing, pretty much everything else even shader type effects, ambient occlusion, etc. I can figure out ways to implement or mock them up convincingly, physics is pretty much sorted and even sound can probably be handled with BlitzAL* but I've yet to see a way to do decent realtime shadowing that doesn't have severe drawbacks whether in functionality, requiring highly specific scenarios, huge performance impact or risking patent issues with creative if you actually released anything using them.

* Haven't tested it extensively yet but it appears to be robust and fairly functional.

Rick Nasher(Posted 2013) [#15]
@Rroff:

Yeah, I indeed managed to fix(mostly) multitextured terrain plus transparency and z-order stuff with multiple cam passes/renders. But with vegetation, water and shadows from FastExt, it gets to the framerate, leaving little time for physics (I tried with Physx), game characters or anthing else.

Screenies were just from old tests I did, it's now loaded with lots more stuff. Just imagine the large top one with shadows, props, gras/trees, animated enemies and (my personal favourite) destructable terrain when throwing grenades. :-)

Appears to me that all the tweaking and workarounds for DX7 limitations are taking it's toll.

Or perhaps it's my poor programming skills.. (quite possibly) LOL

Rroff(Posted 2013) [#16]
^^ I've got more than 23 years of video game programming experience to draw on heh.

Rick Nasher(Posted 2013) [#17]
Well, I lack that experience I'm afraid. Never programmed very fanaticly, more as a side dish, but now would be fun to actually do a full game cos I have soooo many nice(read: great) idea's.

jfk EO-11110(Posted 2013) [#18]
Just seen this, wow cool! thx1138

Wait ... can't download it!?! I can click the link, but nothing happens.
Any Ideas?

Edit, works when I "Save Link as", then saves get.php, a 1.22 mb file, I guess this is it.
After all those years still updates, incredible!

MarkG(Posted 2013) [#19]
Still being supported...outstanding! :) Thank you to those involved.

Imperium(Posted 2013) [#20]
No other languages can you do so much with so little as fast as the Blitz languages. If you have the textures, models, and animations you can bang out a game concept very quickly.

It is antiquated but good games don't sell because of the tech behind them alone. Least not any that I care to play. It's all about the fun factor and not every games needs DX11 effects to be amazing and original.

Captain Wicker (crazy hillbilly)(Posted 2013) [#21]
does this fix the bug that causes the cursor to move unusably slow in b3d programs?

fox95871(Posted 2014) [#22]
I know the solution! Don't use Windows eight.